Nat format restructure starts next season

Messages from the From the Pavilion team
Post Reply
FTP-ashario
Third Umpire
Posts: 14309
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:17 am
Location: Newcastle
Contact:

Nat format restructure starts next season

Post by FTP-ashario » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:24 am

Following various polls, discussions and a little argie bargie, the current setup of 3 tours per season is being replaced by a '3 leagues per season' format. The format below applies to both senior and U19 formats. Details below.

Schedule
Week 1 : Promotions and relegations done for T20 leagues and the Week 11 OD leagues of the previous season. Leagues and fixtures created for the first OD leagues (week 5) and T20 leagues (week 8 )
Week 2 : Messages sent to all nat managers indicating they can now bid for hosting rights for the week 5 OD leagues
Week 3 : Bidding closes. Hosting rights awarded. Messages sent to all nat managers indicating they have a week to pick their OD squads
Week 4 : OD Squads finalised. Domestic clubs informed which of their players are touring in week 5
Week 5 : One Day league matches played
Week 5 : Messages sent to all nat managers indicating they can now bid for hosting rights for the week 8 T20 leagues
Week 6 : Bidding closes. Hosting rights awarded. Messages sent to all nat managers indicating they have a week to pick their T20 squads
Week 7 : T20 Squads finalised. Domestic clubs informed which of their players are touring in week 8
Week 7 : Promotions and relegations done for Week 5 OD leagues from earlier in the season. Leagues and fixtures created for the second OD leagues (week 11)
Week 8 : Twenty20 league matches played
Week 8 : Messages sent to all nat managers indicating they can now bid for hosting rights for the week 11 OD leagues
Week 9 : Bidding closes. Hosting rights awarded. Messages sent to all nat managers indicating they have a week to pick their OD squads
Week 10 : OD Squads finalised. Domestic clubs informed which of their players are touring in week 11
Week 11 : One Day League matches played

Structure
- Teams are organised into three, six team leagues
- Teams ranked 1-6 will be placed in Division 1, 7-12 in Division 2, 13-18 in Division 3 for the initial season
- At the completion of each one day league, the top team in divisions 2 and 3 promote, while the bottom team in divisions 1 and 2 demote
- At the completion of each Twenty20 league, the top 2 teams in divisions 2 and 3 promote, while the bottom 2 teams in divisions 1 and 2 demote

- League matches are played in three one week blocks (eg 5 one day matches per team in week 5/6, 5 Twenty20 matches in week 8/8, and 5 one day matches in week 11/12)
- Double fitness updates will occur during league competitions, similar to the way it works in the world cup. Fitness updates will be run 8 hours after the starting time of matches. For example, matches start at 00:00 in Australia, so if Australia hosts a league, nat fitness updates will happen at 8:00
- Fatigue hits for Twenty20 Nat matches will be increased to the same level as for OD matches
- Nat managers will select an 18 man touring party for each league. Selected players will be unavailable for club duties during that week
- Teams will use prestige to bid for hosting rights for each league. This means all matches in division one, week 5/6, for example, will be played in the same country.
- Unsuccessful bidders will be refunded 90% of the prestige they bid

- The country hosting a league earns the right to select 3 pitch types. When each fixture is generated, there is a 50% chance that the match will be played on pitch type #1, 30% for pitch type #2, 20% for pitch type #3
- Pitch types are finalised one week prior to the touring party selection deadline (ie nat managers will know the 3 pitch types, but wont know the exact pitches they will play on for each match)
- Matches involving the hosting nation will be played at the national home ground
- Matches involving other nations will be played at a highly ranked domestic club ground of the host nation (similar to how it currently works for World Cup matches)
- If a minor nation is hosting a league/tour, they will choose the 'major' country that matches are played at. This will determine the time that matches start, as well as the nation of domestic clubs hosting matches during the league/tour

Prestige
- Introduction of a new concept for U19 and senior nat countries called prestige
- Teams earn an amount of prestige after every match they play. The amount of prestige earned will follow a similar pattern to the experience calculations described below.
- Team rankings will be determined by the total prestige accrued by each team over the past X seasons
- Teams are able to spend prestige by bidding for hosting rights for leagues
- Spending prestige does not affect a team's ranking, as team rankings are linked to how much prestige a team has earned, rather than how much it spends
- Prestige not spent after X seasons will be lost (this is to stop a team from banking all prestige for a number of seasons and then perhaps securing hosting rights to all tours in a single season).

Experience (For implementation after season 11)
The amount of experience earned in a match will be affected by the relevant rankings of the two teams involved, and by the result of the match. For example:
- You earn less experience for a loss than for a win
- Defeating a high prestige team (in comparison to your team) will earn more experience
- Defeating a low prestige team (in comparison to your team) earns less experience
- A loss against a low prestige team (in comparison to your team) earns minimal experience

World Cup
- will remain largely unchanged
- seedings are determined by end of season league positions: eg seeds 1-6 will be the teams that finish 1-6 in division 1, seeds 7-12 will be the div 2 teams, 13-18 the div 3 teams.
- teams cannot bid for hosting rights for the world cup.
- pitches will be selected randomly for each match.
- prestige and experience earned per match will follow the same rules as for nat league matches

Post Reply