Training overhaul (and other suggestions)

How can we improve the game? Please post your ideas here.

Training overhaul (and other suggestions)

Postby CactusMan » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:50 pm

Hey all,

I don't think I have all the answers, so I thought I'd put a few things out there that relate (vaguely) to training for discussion and see what we get back. Would love to see people's thoughts, or hear if you think there's anything else that can be worked on. Open to improvements and suggestions!

Problem:
The current training model basically makes it a lottery as soon as a player hits 30. The value of players 30+ is low because nobody wants to touch them and deal with random plops. This is also bad because of the current training setup - a player currently doesn't 'peak' until they reach 30. I know there are exceptions to that depending on how good a player is, etc.

Ideas:

- Instead of dealing with random plops, what do we think about players 30+ (at the start of each season) announcing their 'retirement' instead? Stagger the chances of this happening (5% chance of a player at 30 retiring, %10 @ 31, 20% @ 32, 50% at 33, 80% at 34 - or whatever scale is deemed acceptable), so that the older a player gets, then the more likely they are to announce their retirement. Announcements are made at the start of each season, to give managers the entire season to find a replacement for them, which I think would make this more fair. Obviously a player can't come out of retirement haha.

- Drastically reduce the likelihood of random plops. I think these could still play a part in the game, but at the moment I think that having too many ruins things a bit. Also, if we had retirements of players, then I don't think the random plops would be as necessary as they are now.

- Group training's for fitness (/strength?) & fielding... Not to necessarily just improve skills, but to maintain them at or around a certain level. At the moment one of the things that irks me with training is having 30+ yo's that have better fielding and fitness than 16-20 yo's. I would love to see pulled youth players with better fielding / fitness than they do have currently, but then see these skills start to plop as a player gets older (~26-27 ish). It kind of makes sense to have older players focus on training these skills more than players who are younger in order to maintain their level's of competitiveness. Training would still work relatively similar to how it does at the moment, but let's say that the entire team trains in fielding or fitness one week, then the primary training of the squad players trains at 80% for that week maybe. Gifted/Skilled talents would still work too. I would think Fielding & Fitness for 16yo's would both start at around the Reliable level... but perhaps reduce the time taken to increase in primary skills to avoid inflating player skills (or use something like potential as a modifier for training purposes - see below).

- Late Bloomer talent? Not too fussed on this one, and from memory this has been discussed before. But with changes above then I feel this could be re looked at? Similar to the prodigy talent, but provides a training boost for players aged 26-30 instead.

- Players pulled not only have talents and base skills, but have potential (I also know this has been discussed before too!). Think of potential as a multiplying factor to training of anywhere between like, I dunno, 0.7 - 2.0x, but broken down into the standard display (ordinary [0.7-0.8], average [0.81-0.9], reasonable [0.91-1], etc - or whatever levels are deemed appropriate). That way, you can have poorer players pulled who can still become great, or players with great abilities who may be good whilst younger, but will have other players catch up to them when older, or players who are high is all of the above who will be genuine super stars.

Some food for thought there. Keen to see what sort of ideas or thought others have in regards to this :)
Last edited by CactusMan on Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manager of CPS Vandals (team 408)
Home of Inaugural World Cup winning NZ Capt John Jones: player 31570
*sigh*
CactusMan

Re: Training overhaul (and other suggestions)

Postby MOD-Jimblack » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:17 am

Always good to have some different perspective on these ideas.
I personally like the retirement idea, I would add other factors into it, like if the player is HG he’s slightly less likely to retire, or tie it in with how many season they have been at the club. Maybe Nat players can’t retire till 32?(could be abused?), still have players lose skill once they hit 30 but slower decrease. Potentially move the scale from 30 to 31, 31 to 32 etc. that way the are still useful but can’t be kept to long.
Just throwing different ideas at it really lol
Image Herosnzeros Titles: T20: S35
Image Crazy Horses Titles: YOD: S29. Pavilion cup S39
Image NZ U19s National Manager S26-29 Assistant 24-25. Scottish Nat Manager 33-34 37-, Assistant 30-32 35-36
MOD-Jimblack
MOD

Postby CactusMan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:55 am

MOD-Jimblack wrote:Always good to have some different perspective on these ideas.
I personally like the retirement idea, I would add other factors into it, like if the player is HG he’s slightly less likely to retire, or tie it in with how many season they have been at the club. Maybe Nat players can’t retire till 32?(could be abused?), still have players lose skill once they hit 30 but slower decrease. Potentially move the scale from 30 to 31, 31 to 32 etc. that way the are still useful but can’t be kept to long.
Just throwing different ideas at it really lol

I like the HG idea - like... how many seasons they've been at the club affects the algorithm that factors in retirement. I don't know about the Nat players thing - like you said, I think that could be abused too easily.

Yea, agreed. I think when a player gets older it should be more of a slow, gradual decrease, rather than just a larger one-off hit. A player could also be less likely to plop if they're currently training that particular skill - which would make a nice balance with older players having to train more in secondary skills - I.E: the manager then gets to choose whether the player keeps up with his fitness at the potential loss of a primary skill, etc.

I don't know about moving the scale from 30 to 31 tbh. I think that'll just make it similar to what we currently have, where 31 becomes to new goal post to train to. I see what you're saying though :think
*sigh*
CactusMan

Postby GM-crowfan65 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:53 am

not a bad suggestion esp the retirement one
I guess some may not like it either cause a vg player may decide to reture at 31yo when he is still useful but maybe the better the player the longer he waits till he retires too

I don't think plops are too bad at 30-31 especially as the aren't even half a level each (except endo)
But if you get unlucky and get hit twice withing the same skill than it can be
Maybe a way around that is it can't be the same skill in a season at 30-31
I think there is a little to play with on this one
Brother Crowfan of the Blessed Spreadsheet
Image Current Aust U19 Asst (Been around far too long)
GarageTM Foundation Member
GM-crowfan65
MOD

Postby MOD-DanAndrew » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:07 am

Yeah retirement idea is one I can get behind :thumbsup
Image Badsey CC
Image Affiliatey McAffiliateface
Image Netherlands Nat Manager. Former U19 Manager.
MOD-DanAndrew
MOD

Postby alibratt » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:59 am

i like the idea of retirement in principle, but i like the fact you can keep players until you decide to retire them, so could it work that they announce retirement from competitive matches but they remain in your squad so you could use them in friendlies, for example i have a club legend who is by far the leading wicket taking bowler for my club 300+ SOD and over 600 in total and my plan is too keep him in the squad but after this season i will not be selecting him for competitive matches but still want him in my club. so i would quite like this system to stay.
my other thought regarding retirement, could they be a way that retiring players join the coaching or backroom staff as a way to keep them around the club?
Manager of FPCC Image and Affiliate RB EGF BMS Image
Image South Africa NAT Manager Season 40
alibratt

Postby Cynic » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:17 am

alibratt wrote:i like the idea of retirement in principle, but i like the fact you can keep players until you decide to retire them, so could it work that they announce retirement from competitive matches but they remain in your squad so you could use them in friendlies, for example i have a club legend who is by far the leading wicket taking bowler for my club 300+ SOD and over 600 in total and my plan is too keep him in the squad but after this season i will not be selecting him for competitive matches but still want him in my club. so i would quite like this system to stay.
my other thought regarding retirement, could they be a way that retiring players join the coaching or backroom staff as a way to keep them around the club?

I bought some low wage, already useless guy in his early 20s. He's now 35 and worse than a paperweight. :ninja
Image Yellow Comet Image The Hybrid Dolphins Image USA.
My post count remains my greatest achievement in this world.
Cynic

Postby kiwi2011 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:41 pm

Gilmore?
Scotland U19 assistant s18-19 Scotland senior assistant s23-25 New Zealand assistant u19 s20-22
kiwi2011

Postby Cynic » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:41 am

kiwi2011 wrote:Gilmore?

Nope.
Image Yellow Comet Image The Hybrid Dolphins Image USA.
My post count remains my greatest achievement in this world.
Cynic

Postby CactusMan » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:04 am

GM-crowfan65 wrote:not a bad suggestion esp the retirement one
I guess some may not like it either cause a vg player may decide to reture at 31yo when he is still useful but maybe the better the player the longer he waits till he retires too

I don't think plops are too bad at 30-31 especially as the aren't even half a level each (except endo)
But if you get unlucky and get hit twice withing the same skill than it can be
Maybe a way around that is it can't be the same skill in a season at 30-31
I think there is a little to play with on this one

Sometimes with retirements that's just what happens... (Eric the King) :cry:
*sigh*
CactusMan

Postby CactusMan » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:07 am

alibratt wrote:i like the idea of retirement in principle, but i like the fact you can keep players until you decide to retire them, so could it work that they announce retirement from competitive matches but they remain in your squad so you could use them in friendlies, for example i have a club legend who is by far the leading wicket taking bowler for my club 300+ SOD and over 600 in total and my plan is too keep him in the squad but after this season i will not be selecting him for competitive matches but still want him in my club. so i would quite like this system to stay.

Haha imagine if there could be a version of friendlies played (between paying members I assume) where you play your All-Time XI against each other. So all players (at age 30, or when they were sold/fired, or added to your HoF) are available for selection for an All-Stars match. :geek
*sigh*
CactusMan

Postby darkmatter » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:27 pm

Woodchester XI >> Marcus Fillmore >> Details
68 years | 3,538 rating | $400 wage (0% discount)

Right hand batsman | Right arm Finger spin

Talents Opener, Gifted (Power)
Nationality Canada Canada
Form capable
Fatigue rested
Experience legendary
Captaincy reasonable
Skills Summary
Batsman atrocious
Bowler atrocious
Keeper atrocious
Allrounder atrocious
Skills
Batting atrocious Endurance atrocious
Bowling atrocious Technique atrocious
Keeping atrocious Power atrocious
Fielding atrocious

Unless someone can ensure me that old Filly staayed outside of this, I cannot approve :lol:

It is certainly an interesting idea. I do also like Crow's suggestion of limiting how frequently the same skill can be targeted by a drop.
Darkmatter - South Park expert; USA u19 assistant (seasons 5-7); USA U19 manager(seasons 8-9); USA Assistant manager (season 10 -14,17-some time); USA National Manager (season 14 - 16) Winner (s16 & s17 T20 div 1)
I has cookies.
darkmatter

Postby kiwi2011 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:16 pm

Cynic wrote:
kiwi2011 wrote:Gilmore?

Nope.

Fillmore
Scotland U19 assistant s18-19 Scotland senior assistant s23-25 New Zealand assistant u19 s20-22
kiwi2011

Return to Suggestions