Football Manager Vids

Feel free to talk about all sorts of things here.

Football Manager Vids

Postby GM-Butlee » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:54 pm

I wasn't going to make even more damned Football Manager threads. While it's ok to have a thread talking myself up, I guess 3 is kind of too self-absorbed.
But then I figured if there's anything I've earned after 35+ seasons of GM'ing, it's my own 15 minutes of fame in here.

I've been talking about making a YouTube series - kind of like my written narratives - for a little while now. I really do enjoy writing up the stories and while I know there are people who like reading through this kind of thing at their own pace (I'm probably more that way inclined myself) this is 2018 and I think at least having a go at some video work is worthwhile. I can see advantages to both styles, and I want to experiment with this format for a bit.
For now, I've created a 5-part package. The idea was to give me (behind the scenes) different styles and challenges to work with ie, some of it is just me talking for 5-15 minutes straight, some I did 1-2 minute segments and put them together in an episode, some has editing magics and some is just recordings of matches etc... It's almost like a proof of concept or sales pitch package, haha.

Anyhow, obviously if anyone is interested I'd love for some feedback. Even if you just watch 1 part or a minute of each or whatever time you're generous enough to spare.
I do want to mention that this is still quite 'bare' for what I'm intending going forward. If you've seen how I write things up and how I make my own graphs and images - well as the season gets going those are the kind of things I'd incorporate into this a lot more. In fact a lot of the FM story posts I've done here may well be good scripts for this kind of thing.

Also I promise I'm trying my hardest to improve my speaking/narrating voice. I sound like such a bogan :ninja

Football Manager 18 - Central Coast Mariners (Hyundai A-League)

Football Manager 2018 - CCM - Introduction [4:52] - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJCPXqjTjtE
Part 2 - [FM18] - CCM - Daro & the A-League [4:41] - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rymtMpPv5HA
Part 3 - [FM18] - CCM - Key Players, Squad Makeup & Dynamics [5:52] - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuaZ_VM0Jzw
(noteable mic and sound change after this - turn your volume down a bit!!)
Part 4 - [FM18] - CCM - Formation(s) [5:02] - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja925LVtg_4
Part 5 - [FM18] - CCM - First Cup Match [15:22] - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1STGSkGNuoY

Thanks again if you have the time to listen to some. I'll make another post now explaining some of my own comments on style and quality.
Brother Butters of the Blessed Comebacks
“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” - Aristotle
"Oh, my mistake... I suppose he stares at you longingly, because he's hopeful for a successful military alliance."
GM-Butlee
MOD

Re: Football Manager Vids

Postby GM-Butlee » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:12 pm

If you're reading at this point, hopefully you're here to give some feedback. I wanted to pre-empt some of that with some of my own thoughts. This might be a bit of a scribbly post (it's late and I'm getting tired lol).

Intros
- Yeah I wasn't sure how to say 'hi' at the start. Most folks have a set phrase. "Hey hey" sounds so stupid in hindsight. I'll just give everyone a G'Day for now - might as well sell the Aussie outta me lol.
- Also don't see the need to keep reminding everyone I'm Butlee. Have I ever mentioned that I really loathe saying my own name? Like I have no qualms whatsoever with people calling me my name or my 'internet handle', Butlee, out loud or to my face, but I personally I've never liked saying my own names. Weird huh?

Background Music
- Ok the first couple of tunes are really, really bad. By the 3rd I had a good time to actually look through a decent library of tracks and was very happy with it. I think the 5th episode has my favourite of the bunch.
- What I'm not certain on is how much background music to use. At the moment it's just laying an unrelated track over the video because FM is generally pretty quiet, but I'm hoping to break up videos a bit more - jumping from topic to topic for example - so it may end up with shorter bouts of music, then some game footage with only in-game sounds, then maybe I'll talk without background sounds, and maybe then have a different track kick in. So I'm not really sure there - is it reasonable enough just to have episodes with that jamming away in the background?
- I think it takes 4 videos (new mic) to get the balance of background sound to my volume right. Let me know if that's outta whack!?

Speaking
- I really do sound bogan. I'm not too worried about cutting out phrases like "gonna" and whatnot, because that's just part of Aussie slang. But I do need to speak a bit clearer. That'll come with time though... just like talking aloud "to" people - sometimes I don't throw my voice properly. I'm never going to be the most animated person about, but I do need to sound more interested in my own work, haha. This is just one of those 'you dont hear yourself' things - I sound (in real life too) like I'm droning on or that something is tiring to me or I'm apathetic about a topic - but in my mind I'm fully absorbed and thinking a million miles an hour! So expression is my problem, not disinterest or shyness, lol.

Format
- As mentioned I'm not planning to have every video be 5-10 minutes of just my yapping. Actually I was thinking of deliberately making it so there's a break in the middle for something. Maybe have some in-game footage running or create some kind of on-screen visual-aid thing that doesn't require me to explain it. Just because I know my voice doesn't have so much range and people aren't going to commit to back-to-back episodes if it's just me speaking all the time.
- As also mentioned, my plan is to integrate more stuff similar to my written narratives as things get going. So far there's only so much to tell, but even in a simultaneous playthrough in FM18 I've had plenty of moments where it was like "If I were narrating THIS series, I could do a piece on X." So I do intend for all that to come, it's just that this save hasn't had anything of note really kick up yet.
- And of course any visual or graphical aids will be added to and built over time. I've been thinking about templates for player trades for example - and I can just have some summary info on a player and instead of copy/pasting the transfers screen I'll have a little standardised graphic I can put on the page (like at the start of Ep3 with the player boards)... so that kind of thing will grow over time.

Other things?
I'm not really sure what else? Obviously I'm trying to prepare for an FM19 run in November, so this is kind of experimental.
Will the written stuff continue? Don't want to commit to that yet. I'd like to think that there's a world where I have a platform for both written and video formats. But the blogging space I use wouldn't suit this kind of story.... and even though I have excessive amounts of time for this, even I only have so much time to commit to FM and hobby work lol.

And ummm, yeah I'm totally out of ideas of what else to add. It really IS late now haha. Thanks again for your time (you've done well to get this far through all my rambling haha) and hopefully this whole project goes somewhere! :D

Cheerio!
“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” - Aristotle
"Oh, my mistake... I suppose he stares at you longingly, because he's hopeful for a successful military alliance."
GM-Butlee
MOD

Postby DKM » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:08 pm

Nothing wrong with your voice mate or what you're saying. Just be yourself and have your one line hello that your thing.

Put your own spin on it and do something a little different and everything with be fine mate. Main thing is that you enjoy doing it.
DKM

Postby GM-Butlee » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:14 pm

mmm, now to set up and try to find the time to make proper ones :o

Cheers for the feedback.
GM-Butlee
MOD

Postby DKM » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:40 am

Take your time and don't rush it mate.
DKM

Postby GM-Butlee » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:20 pm

So FM19 properly hit shelves today. I've got a full weekend off. I might see if I can cook up some things.... depends how I feel in the morning.

Anyway this is mostly a post to bump this for now until I figure out what I'm doing. Actually I just plugged in a new mechanical keyboard, so I'm getting used to the typing and general orientation of a new keyboard. It's soooo responsive! :D
GM-Butlee
MOD

Postby Qadir » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:52 pm

I think my main question is this - is this one better than last year's?

Convince me to pull the trigger and put an end to increasing the 2020 hours I current have on FM2012.

:lol:
There is no substitute for experience. Though luck can help - just ask Bongo.
Qadir

Postby Smiddie » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:41 am

Qadir wrote:I think my main question is this - is this one better than last year's?

Convince me to pull the trigger and put an end to increasing the 2020 hours I current have on FM2012.

:lol:

I wouldn't change after that sort of dedication lol.
Smiddie

Postby GM-Butlee » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:05 am

FM19 is a long way ahead of FM18.

But is it better than FM12? That much I'm not sure lol.
GM-Butlee
MOD

Postby Thambo73 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:38 am

For me, from the original games - CM97/98 (before it became football manager) is the one that I keep playing. Like the older versions
Thambo73

Postby GM-Butlee » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:15 pm

I'm starting to cook up some ideas for Vids.

I've been hanging out watching and learning off some chaps and sort of contrasting what they're doing compared to what I want to do. There's nothing wrong with some folks doing streams or even stream-esque videos (because the editing is what takes a thousand times longer than the recording, I promise you that!!) but I wanted a series to be a bit more peppy and unique. So I'm going to start combining some stuff and I've got 3 good weeks over xmas to really have a crack at it. I might record before than and release just before I get free so I can react to feedback.

Unfortunately the new job is upsetting the work-life balance here so I'm not quite so actively playing anymore haha.
GM-Butlee
MOD

Postby Qadir » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:26 am

Thambo73 wrote:For me, from the original games - CM97/98 (before it became football manager) is the one that I keep playing. Like the older versions

I played the hell out of that one too. Before that it was Anco's Player Manager on the Amiga. I wore out 2 floppy disk copies of that. I actually bought it 3 times - the third time I imported it from the UK.
There is no substitute for experience. Though luck can help - just ask Bongo.
Qadir

Return to General Off-Topic