F1 2018 - Dutchmen League Racing

Feel free to talk about all sorts of things here.

F1 2018 - Dutchmen League Racing

Postby Exo07 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:27 am

Hi All

I Decided to post our racing league and race stories here. We are 7 races into our first season and this are looking very tight.

http://championship.ascherman.co.za/results

Race Summary: Canada - Ludolf

After hours of practicing the moment came to qualify, every thing was going well until I reached turn 8 and I turn in to quickly cut the corner and my lap gets disqualified thus putting me way back to start in last place. This was a huge blow to my title race which I was leading by 30 points at this stage, and my main rival qualifying 3rd.

The start went well after the first lap I was up to 16th place and my rival had his front wing removed before turn 6 and thus putting him way after his 1st pit. After 8 laps I was up to 8th place with Hartley in sights. I was feeling fairly brave and decided to pas him in the chicane at turn 6 and 7, turning out of turn 5 I was on his gearbox and got into his slip stream. Just before the breaking point I go to the inside hoping to out break him and get the inside line into turn 6 and then gun it out of turn 7 to into 7th place. In theory that sounds like a great plan and it worked well until he decided to defend his position by pushing me into the wall at turn 7 and me losing half of my front wings. My scheduled pit was at lap 13 to I decided, and this was my mistake in my opinion, to drive with the broken wing until then. But I was lapping at 2 seconds slower per lap than my rival and he caught up and passed me before I got to pit on lap 13.

I had to stick to these tires for the next 17 laps before my second stop and with this I had some hope that I could still catch my rival and pass him on faster tires in the last 7 laps. And on lap 22 Stoffel Vandoorne misses his breaking point into turn 1 and spinning me out and the barriers again losing my front wing and hope of winning or even getting a top 3 spot in this race.

In the end I got 7th and my lead in the championship was cut to only 10 points.

Next race is France - Paul Ricard on 20 June 2019
Manager of Permian
Exo07

Re: F1 2018 - Dutchmen League Racing

Postby Bird87 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:17 am

Rival checking in.

So I had a good qualifying run, just making a small mistake through the final chicane. This placed me in 3rd position on the grid.

The start also went well. I got off the line quick, but Alonso (who qualified 2nd somehow) defended well into turn 1. I tried to hang it around the outside through turn two, and basically raced side by side all the way to turn 5, where Alonso seemed to forget I was there, and moved over to the left to make a move on Perez (who somehow, qualified 1st). This removed my front wing and I dropped back quite quickly and pitted at the end of lap 1, putting me dead last.

From there it was a recovery race, where I took a lot of risks. Luckily it paid of, and as stated above, I passed Ludolf before on lap 13. From there I knew if I bide my time I'll reduce his championship lead, as long as I finish ahead of him. After the pit cycle I found myself in first and started pushing because my lap 1 pitstop put me on a longer strategy. After my second pit on lap 19, I came out in 3rd and passed the two in front in the next few laps. After that it was just tyre management and trying to set fastest lap near the end of the race which I also achieved.

More about our league:

We aren't pro racers so when we started it, we decided on AI @ 80. The first two races were pretty hard, but after that, it was rather smooth sailing.
Our races are run on the Thursday before the real race.
We are 3 friends playing in the league, but friend number 3 got a girlfriend and as such isn't as available as he used to be. This happens when you need to ask permission the whole time.
We have a 5 lap restart rule in place where if you get terminal damage in the first 5 laps you can request a restart, but you need to start from the back of the grid. Has been used at every race so far, except monaco. No idea how we managed that.
We are using 2019 rules.
Bird87

Postby Summit » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:28 am

What GMT time do you guys normally race?
Zimbabwe Nat Assistant S40

I come for the Bot Bashing
Summit

Postby Exo07 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:04 pm

Summit wrote:What GMT time do you guys normally race?

That would be 18:00.
Manager of Permian
Exo07

Postby Bird87 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:29 pm

Yeah, South Africa is GMT+2.

France was pretty uneventfull. I started 7th, finished 4th. We raced on 100 AI because our one friend decided not to join this race.

I started quite well, taking evasive action into turn one, but staying 7th. Then gradually worked my way up to 5th, where Ricciardo and Stroll tried to run each other off the road, both breaking dead right on the apex and me smashing into the back of them, losing half a wing. My laptimes were down by 0.75+- at this stage, causing me to stay in 5th at that point until the first round of pitstops. I was running the harder tyre, so could run a bit longer, and lead for about 6 laps until I had to stop. Pitted, replaced my front wing, and set after Magnussen (who was leading), only to again, be aggressively screwed over by Magnussen as I tried to pass. I spun, losing out on a few places and losing a bit of my front wing. I eventually recovered to 2nd, but a 6s time penalty was added, leaving me to finish fourth.
Bird87

Postby Exo07 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:11 pm

So on to France we went to visit the Paul Ricard circuit. One of my favorite tracks and I was looking forward to winning this race. Our friend that got a girlfriend did not race so this one we did at 100% AI.

All my practice sessions went well, I was gaining time after every session and it looked like it was going to be a very tight race between myself and Bird87 with there being less than 0.2 seconds a lap between our practice times.

qualifying has been a bit of an issue the last two races and this time after making a mistake at turn 8 I qualified 11th. It wasnt ideal but I was optimistic that I could still score very well with Bird starting 7th and if he makes a mistake here or there I can even pass him.

And there I am with Super Soft tires on the grid everyone else, except Bird who is also on Super Soft, on the Ultra Soft tires. The lights go red 1..2..3..4..5 and the race is on I get a good start gaining 1 position, I move over to get into the inside of the first corner and try and gain another place in the breaking zone, take the corner in 9th place. Im still not sure who drove into me but just like that I get spun out and lose half of my front wing. Going into turn 2 dead last needing to pit and get a new front wing. Get out of the pits, sticking to my Super Soft strategy I am 37 seconds behind the driver in 19th place.

It was quite a lonely drive with little to no action just trying to carve my way through the track without making mistakes to catch the guys in front of me, around lap 7 the guys that started on Ultra Soft started pitting and by lap 13 I was up to 18th place, not great I know but I wasnt last and I was happy. Then luck fell my way at last...Virtual Safety Car... I was scheduled to pit and get onto Soft tires anyway but Bird was to late to take advantage and I was getting a pit stop and only losing half the time I would normally. I exit the pits, in 19th place with 14 laps to go. The original Ultra Soft had another pit that they would have to make and by lap 20 I was up to 8th place. Bird if I remember correctly was in 3rd, within 4 seconds of 4th and I was just behind the pack which contained 4th - 7th. In 7th place is Stoffel Vandoorne, which is the one that stop my charge in Canada. In the first sector of lap 23 I am right behind Stoffel primed to pass him in the first DRS zone, Into the his slip stream I go with DRS and Im past into the breaking zone. I have the inside line into the turn 8 and Stoffel clips by back tire and once again I am facing the wrong way out of a turn while Im passing Stoffel. Get my car onto the tract in 10th place and once again I chasing, knowing that beating Bird is nigh impossible for this race I just want to limit the damage for the championship by lap 26 I again catch up to Stoffel my tires as done, no extra fuel left and my ERS would not recover enough for another push to get past the pack. I once again try and pass Vandoorne and in true Vandoorne style we collide and my left wheel breaks off ending my race and giving me a DNF.

Maybe I was to aggressive, maybe me and Stoffel just cant be on the same piece of track. All I know is for the second race in a row trying to pass him has cost me dearly and especially in this race I managed to pass 12 other cars without an issue.

This week we are at the Austrian GP, not a track I like but lets see if I can stay in this title race.
Manager of Permian
Exo07

Postby Summit » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:25 am

Will you guys be purchasing 2019?
Zimbabwe Nat Assistant S40

I come for the Bot Bashing
Summit

Postby Bird87 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:51 am

Yes, however, will only buy it in December and run next years championship on that.
Bird87

Postby Bird87 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:24 am

Last race was Austria. For some reason I am much faster than my buddy, and even with a mistake in quali, I out qualified him. I started 3rd and he started 6th. The start was fairly good, but I got a bad exit out of the hairpin, and was spun by one of the AI's in the next corner. While trying to get back to the black stuff, I spun again. This put me around 35 seconds of 18th. I then stormed through the field, and started catching Ludolf at the end of the race, but had very little tire left by the time I finally caught him. I crossed the line 1.477s behind him and was given the win as Ludolf had a time penalty.
Bird87

Return to General Off-Topic