Cricket Discussion - WC and Beyond

A place to discuss cricket, whether it be the golden duck you scored in 4th grade last weekend, or a discussion about international matches.

Re: Cricket Discussion - WC and Beyond

Postby Maddin » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:21 am

It's been a great World Cup hasn't it?

Didn't look that way at the start, but the powers must have intervened after the day Rashid Khan went for over a ton. Matches like that aren't good for the game.

Of course the weather changed too, which will have helped.
Runs Lola Runs (SL Tier 1,1,5) and affiliate Freddie's XI Dreamers (Netherlands Tier 1,1,4)
Maddin

Postby Maddin » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:24 am

A good tournament (with the final being shown on the tele :shock: thanks Jim Maxwell :thumbsup) but it does go on far too long. Feels like it's been months by now.
Runs Lola Runs (SL Tier 1,1,5) and affiliate Freddie's XI Dreamers (Netherlands Tier 1,1,4)
Maddin

Postby michaelcorleone » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:49 am

Maddin wrote:It's been a great World Cup hasn't it?

With all the washouts and below par performances by competent teams like Pakistan and Indies? No. The only positive is that we would see a new champion in like 23 years. The whole time has been about Australia more or less. But they showed first sign of weakness in 2011 and now, in this semi-final, they just didn't look like the regular Aussie team. But at least Ian Chappell would be happy with all of the turn of events through the semi finals being good for the game. I do hope Cricket could get more serious participation though. Afghanistan looked good, at least in their in their outings against the fellow Asian teams, they almost got India and Pakistan. They do need to mature though in terms of experience, may be it'll come with time, they are surely improving quicker than Bangladesh. Speaking of Bangladesh, I feel they were the bright spot in this World Cup, with Shakib coming up with a close to Player of the Tournament-worthy performance. The competition could still get better and more intense, there is still a gap between the semi finalists and the others. What I would like to see is a tougher fight from teams like Pakistan and WI in the next WC. South Africa, ah! God bless them, they are still one of the best teams despite this WC's performance.
michaelcorleone

Postby lesvosace » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:37 pm

Hellbound81 wrote:Nah, he was just the one with completely disgraceful behavior.

This is a disgusting example to set for the young fans of the game and he should be ashamed of himself!

It was a disgusting decision.
He waited 4 years to give it as well which made it even worse. World cup 2023 was about to start and the umpire was still thinking about whether Roy hit that wide. He didnt. He was no where near it. How the umpire could give that out is beyond me.
I'm not surprised he was upset. Bairstow should have been the target of his rage though. Wasting a review on a plum lbw when you have tweaked a muscle anyway. He was never the brightest light bulb though.
Sri Lanka National Team Manager Season 19-24.
Current U19 ManagerImage U19 One Day World Cup Winner : Season 28 Image
lesvosace

Postby lesvosace » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:39 pm

Maddin wrote:It's been a great World Cup hasn't it?

Didn't look that way at the start, but the powers must have intervened after the day Rashid Khan went for over a ton. Matches like that aren't good for the game.

Of course the weather changed too, which will have helped.

I've enjoyed it. It's nice to see the crowd mixing together and the different cultures coming together to enjoy the game. The banter with opposing fans and pundits. Plus getting one over on the Aussies finally. Now if we can win the thing then that would be the cherry on the cake.
Sri Lanka National Team Manager Season 19-24.
Current U19 ManagerImage U19 One Day World Cup Winner : Season 28 Image
lesvosace

Postby Hellbound81 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:24 pm

lesvosace wrote:It was a disgusting decision.
He waited 4 years to give it as well which made it even worse. World cup 2023 was about to start and the umpire was still thinking about whether Roy hit that wide. He didnt. He was no where near it. How the umpire could give that out is beyond me.
I'm not surprised he was upset. Bairstow should have been the target of his rage though. Wasting a review on a plum lbw when you have tweaked a muscle anyway. He was never the brightest light bulb though.

Look, I am the last one to ever acknowledge umpires to be perfect, but umpires making bad calls have always been part of the game and there is certainly no need to act like a spoilt teenager about it, not with a billion people watching. Roy of course wanted his ton, I understand that, and he played exceptionally for his 85, as he has been doing throughout the whole tournament, but that little tantrim was completely unnecessary. The umpire made a bad call, England was out of reviews, move on and live with it. It was not as if he was gone for a duck and fighting for his place in the team or a make-or-break decision that cost England the match.
Image Coastal Knights - proudly homegrown
Image Coastal Guardians - South African youth farm
Image South Africa NAT Team (Assistant: Season 36-38)
Image South Africa U19 Team (Manager: Season 32-35, Assistant: Season 38-)
Hellbound81

Postby dazmcspaz » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:22 pm

So, if he had been gone for a duck and blah blah the behaviour would have been fine?

He dicked out, he shouldn't have, and wrists should be slapped. Because it's... well... just not cricket.
Tough on him to be the first ever victim of an incorrect umpire call, but I'm sure he'll get victims support.
Thankfully nobody died.
dazmcspaz

Postby jabatito » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:47 am

Got lots of goosebumps when I saw Rashid and Archer so excited whilst (not) singing their (?) national anthem. Nevertheless, they shall play a good part in today's match whether for good or bad
jabatito

Postby Maddin » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:07 am

Guptill looking like Guptill again.

So far

Pitch looks like there are plenty of runs there. If you can handle the pressure :ninja
Maddin

Postby jabatito » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:08 am

the sooner England gets rid off Guptill the better. He has not delivered at all during this WC, but this guy can take any game away on his own with his aggression
Pitch has shades of moisture so this 1st 10 overs can be tricky to bat on, that is the deal when you bat first in England. So far openers are doing great and thankfully for them, Nicholls reviewing was good decision. If they can give breathing space for Kane, he can be especially dangerous later on
Last edited by jabatito on Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
jabatito

Postby Maddin » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:09 am

jabatito wrote:Got lots of goosebumps when I saw Rashid and Archer so excited whilst (not) singing their (?) national anthem. Nevertheless, they shall play a good part in today's match whether for good or bad

I didn't notice them not singing it. But I wouldn't either. Awful anthem :thumbsdown
Maddin

Postby Maddin » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:15 am

:D Williamson will be :angry: at them wasting their review

Cheeky grin from the ump when his decision was confirmed. Smug :whistle
Maddin

Postby jabatito » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:16 am

Woakes continues his wonderful spell dismissing Guptill lbw and what was worse for NZ was Guptill's decision to review. Now they do not have any
jabatito

Postby Maddin » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:17 am

Williamson looks like Derek Randall after twelve cups of coffee

Nervous!
Maddin

Postby jabatito » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:21 am

Maddin wrote:Williamson looks like Derek Randall after twelve cups of coffee
Nervous!

No wonder, Woakes is getting nice in and out swing deliveries in the right areas where Kane likes to score singles, so he will look unsettle at all times during these first overs.
jabatito

PreviousNext

Return to Real life cricket