I forgot how frustrating it is to build a team in this game.

General gameplay questions can be posted here.

I forgot how frustrating it is to build a team in this game.

Postby PalmersCCC » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:21 pm

Was around a few years ago for quite a while, left for a plethora of decent reasons but have a fondness for this game that trumps any otherwise lingering ill will.

I think it needs to be said - it feels like the difference between good starter availability in 2017/18 versus now is night and day. If I wanted to build a team of 40k+ early twenties with good technique and relatively low wages, I could've packed out a squad in a couple of days. I've now got to wait three days for the next one or two, and there's nothing after that. I'm not claiming this game is dying, but there's a very clear difference (though I appreciate the evidence is anecdotal). When I do get the opportunity, I'm getting absolutely hammered by players who've been here for ten years and people blasting their starter money on everything on the first page. It's unwelcoming and a huge turnoff.

I don't personally know how this is solvable, or if anyone particularly considers it a problem. The gist of it however, is that people playing the game are now playing that exact same game with a decades' head start. I've personally been a part of other text-based games like this, that handle it differently by releasing new servers or introducing catch-up mechanics. I do know this though - if I was in the decade-old club, I'm sure I'd be annoyed that my advantage borne out of prolonged effort was being whittled down to naught. That said, it's not my fault I found the game late, and not my fault entirely why I left when I did. The more time that passes though, makes me want to try and close the gap less.
PalmersCCC

Re: I forgot how frustrating it is to build a team in this g

Postby darkmatter » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:34 pm

How're you doing Palmers, it's been a while.

I completely agree. Despite my start date I was practically inactive for 3-4 years, and when I came back the only viable method to progress was the oldie and goldie method; which in itself is not healthy for the game

I don't have any answers mind!
Darkmatter - South Park expert; USA u19 assistant (seasons 5-7); USA U19 manager(seasons 8-9); USA Assistant manager (season 10 -14,17-some time); USA National Manager (season 14 - 16) Winner (s16 & s17 T20 div 1)
I has cookies.
darkmatter

Postby PalmersCCC » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:57 pm

Good evening Dark, good to see you again. Hope you and yours are well.

While I fully embrace the fact I'm complaining, it's also worth mentioning that I've avoided making suggestions that turn it into Easy Street. I'm not advocating for more starter money, as the only thing that will truthfully do is make inexperienced newbies more careless in the transfer market. I'm not advocating for catchup mechanics either - having been a veteran on another game (AstroEmpires, spent a good chunk of time in the top 100 players out of many thousands at the time), I was proud of the fact I got there and part of being successful at the game was being good/popular enough to have not been 'farmed' out of it. I do however think it's worth considering, that there's an enormous gulf now and the market isn't as richly populated as it used to be. You almost can't afford to lose out on certain players now, whereas before there was a certain feeling of "I'll be back and will go for the next guy". This hugely changes the landscape, in my opinion.
PalmersCCC

Postby Hellbound81 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:03 am

What is stopping you from buying cheap 31+yos to compete against the strongest teams in your leagues with?

If you want to build a team with 20yos then the best time for that would be at the end/start of a season (if the next will even materialize) when there is a big sell-off, but since managers receive prize money it also causes the good options to be inflated.

If you are planning to buy 12+ 20yos that you want to build a team with long term then you are leaving yourself with a lot of pain as is where you might as well step back and take a holiday while they grow. It is probably more ideal to buy maybe 4 max over the course of a couple of seasons which you feed in gradually.

People often forget that the game is not a sprint, but a marathon. It is frustrating to not be competitive out of the blocks when you start off, but that is exactly the intention with the nature of the game.

If you want to come out firing then cheap old players (which you replace seasonally as they turn into trash) or even anything younger that looks decent is the way to go (I'm not talking NAT quality or even potential here). Looking at the market now there are plenty of options which you can spend less than 10k on per player that should get the job done.

In saying that, there should not be too much competition as a brand new starter team in the bottom leagues where you will mostly be bashing bots (also dissatisfying).
Image Coastal Knights - proudly homegrown
Image Coastal Guardians - South African youth farm
Image South Africa NAT Team (Assistant: Season 36-38)
Image South Africa U19 Team (Manager: Season 32-35, Assistant: Season 38-)
Hellbound81

Postby CactusMan » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:02 am

I do feel like the TM died a bit when loyalty / home grown wage discounts were introduced.
Manager of CPS Vandals (team 408)
Home of Inaugural World Cup winning NZ Capt John Jones: player 31570
*sigh*
CactusMan

Postby Eggy6198 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:05 am

I buy 20s year olds after building money up and on for a top level treble.

It can be done
Note to self don't get wound up by strangers on the internet!
'those election results were poor judgement by those who voted'
Eggy6198

Postby Sockit151 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:45 pm

I've played this game for 10+ years and have only briefly cracked the top 100 teams in the game at times..

It's not easy to reach the top, but it doesn't mean the battle is not enjoyable..

Promoting any division is an achievement, pulling a gun 16yo or having a player you have developed win a WC, helping a NAT side out!!

There are so many goals you can chase to keep yourself engaged, if you just want to win play Mario Kart!!
Former Zimbabwe U19 Manager
Sockit151

Postby Drewyface » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:49 am

I don’t think that’s right at all, if you want instant success then buy a few older players as the others have mentioned. They should help you move through the lower divisions pretty quickly collecting prize money as you go.

Depends how you want to play the game, a lot of us like to see players develop over time and achieve longer term goals.

But if instant success is what you are after I do think it’s pretty easy to move out of the lower leagues to mid tier without batting an eye lid. Sustaining that is the challenge but you also need patience to sustain anything in any game if you want to enjoy ongoing success.
Main: Team Systo (Scotland)
Scottish SOD 1.1 Champions:
S33, S35, S36
Affiliate: Chudley Cannons (Sri Lanka)
Australian National Manager
Drewyface

Postby Eggy6198 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:59 am

the best way for me is to build slowly. first choose a nation which will allow you to play at higher levels with lesser team. A good way to choose is countries with less players. This means greater income in gates etc.

Its important to win to grow fans etc and more money but at the start keep a small squad 12-14 to allow different types of bowlers and buy players you can develop and sell at a profit hence keep a good level in senior ach. Rinse and repeat a few times and then you can improve the standard of 20 year olds you buy and then can ride a good batch up the leagues. if they are good enough they will become internationals and that money allows you to have bigger squads and develop other players.

At the end of the day the game is about money and you should build slowly until you can compete. Both my teams finnaces have been ruined by extra wages and no internationals but I believe the game is likely over otherwise will contact admin and ask for monies for this season.

But like brexit we cant control Marco issues that can ruin the pocket book
Note to self don't get wound up by strangers on the internet!
'those election results were poor judgement by those who voted'
Eggy6198

Postby lesvosace » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:04 pm

You just need to be patient. If you wait until the eos you'll have plenty of options mate.
Sri Lanka National Team Manager Season 19-24.
Current U19 ManagerImage U19 One Day World Cup Winner : Season 28 Image
lesvosace

Postby PalmersCCC » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:40 pm

I mean, I do know most of this stuff that you guys have pointed out. I do appreciate though that you've been trying to offer advice, having been a part of many communities in the past where I know the go-to response would be 'git gud' (or a variant thereof).

I ended up being silly and splurging massive amounts of cash on high wage players with some sort of future. Honestly, I'm above the idea of spamming the market for 30-year-olds that I'll fire again in a month or two. That's not to say I don't respect others do it, it's just not for me. The remit is fairly broad, 40k+ (which I also know isn't a guarantee of usefulness) rating with some key bits I'm after (good technique, good-to-solid talents, good fielding) and potentially no more than 5 or 6k wages. In theory, this should be doable, and absolutely used to be. Now, I've overpaid for pretty much two-thirds of my players because of the excessive competitiveness of the market and unfortunately are now paying 10k+ for three players.

Brings me back to my point. I lost out on a series of really good players that fit the profile, because there's far less choice now as well as the fact the same players are there from when I first was, but they're now two years' richer.

It's a minor point really, my team is nearly built and should only require occasional refining (mostly around budget). It was still more difficult than it potentially needed to be.
PalmersCCC

Postby Hellbound81 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:54 pm

We are currently in the middle of the season so there won't be much choice.

The best time to buy is end/start of season, but competition on good players then will also be steep because of prize money.

40k+ 20yos will very likely sell for a lot as you are looking at former U19 quality, so yeah, doing your homework and budgetting properly is important.

Set your bidding target and stick to it. Don't get caught with gambling addiction. There are still plenty of managers with very deep pockets patiently waiting for the right player they need.
Hellbound81

Postby PalmersCCC » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:49 pm

I mean yeah, Hell I knew all of that too!

Hellbound81 wrote:We are currently in the middle of the season so there won't be much choice.

This is the point I've continually been trying to make. What we're seeing in this respect, it's not always been the case.

It's tough transitioning from a market that used to have 20-30 players a day like this (absolutely no exaggeration) to no more than a tenth of that (also no exaggeration) where every bid is automatically a fight against half a dozen other players. Cue my general comment about extreme differences in account age (and a strongly hinted advantage/disadvantage dependent on which side of the coin you are).
PalmersCCC

Postby Hellbound81 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:18 am

I reckon as the game progresses with managers becoming more established it is perhaps a case where they picked up on the ideal time to list their players, which means seeing fewer transfers during the odd time of the season, but instead when teams have the most money.

I can be corrected here, but the addition of new teams is very little while the manager base at this stage is fairly steady, so we are looking at plenty of managers who have been around for a good while who know how the cycle moves.
Hellbound81

Postby dazmcspaz » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:58 pm

PalmersCCC wrote:It's a minor point really, my team is nearly built and should only require occasional refining (mostly around budget). It was still more difficult than it potentially needed to be.

If it was easier then more people would be doing it and there would be more competition and it wouldn't be easier.

What's wrong with it being difficult?
dazmcspaz

Next

Return to Game Discussion