Open Forum (Ask GMs)

General gameplay questions can be posted here.
GM-crowfan65
CAPT

Re: Open Forum (Ask GMs)

Post by GM-crowfan65 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:53 am

I think we all agree that we don't want this thread to become a bash Ash thread so perhaps we can move on from that line of discussion. So if you have any other questions please feel free to ask.
Master Crowfan of the Blessed Spreadsheet

GarageTM Foundation Member

TheWizard

Post by TheWizard » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:36 pm

I know Butlee said earlier that the format the PC format was unclear, but do we know how many teams are likely to be involved? Will it be 1024? or is there a chance it could be a different number?
Image Kenya National Manager S25-27 & S40-43, Kenya U19 National Manager S28-30
Image World Cup Winning Manager S27
Image TheWizard's XI - S52, S53, S55 & S56 SOD 1.1 Champion, S53 & S54 T20 1.1 Champion

CricketGodMate977

Post by CricketGodMate977 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:06 am

I totally agree with what most of the others have said.

As much as I'd like to see the game develop a bit more, I am quite happy to pay the $40 a year to keep my membership, mainly because I want to keep my affiliate going as I have developed it into a quite a handy side. I've played FTP since Season 20 so I've really become attached with the game and would hate for it to be shut down. It seems there are less and less members being online regularly, I remember when there used to be 500+ members online consistently and it's sad to see those numbers go down.

I'm not going to go down the road of blaming any of the admins for the lack of additions to the game in the last few seasons, I feel it'd be wrong to do that as we all have lives outside this game like work and families. As much as I'd love to see the game develop and become something bigger and better, I'm quite happy with the way it's going and will continue playing it no matter what.

I feel for the game to develop, it may be worth advertising it somewhere and possibly getting the Facebook page up and running again.
Last edited by CricketGodMate977 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image Current Netherlands U20 NAT Manager (Former Assistant)
S38,S40 U19 One Day World Cup Winners (S37 T20 WC Runners Up, S52 One Day WC Runners up)

Manager of Gazza Lyon's XI and Western Bulldogs CC

CricketGodMate977

Post by CricketGodMate977 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:08 am

GM-Butlee wrote:For what it's worth, I think the game overall makes very little - if any - profit at the end of the day.
Certainly not enough to justify someone giving up a job to take on a part-time one or one with lesser hours. And Australia is in a funny place with jobs right now - we're in more of a 'workers have to give up a bit to make sure they secure full time work' mode rather than a 'pick and choose your job' scenario.

I think having FTP supplement your income to X degree would be the dream scenario, but it's not in that phase unfortunately. I doubt it ever was.
Yep, totally agree with you there mate, jobs in Australia are hard enough to come by as it is, I may be only in part time/casual work atm but it was fairly difficult to get the job I have.
S38,S40 U19 One Day World Cup Winners (S37 T20 WC Runners Up, S52 One Day WC Runners up)

simmo014

Post by simmo014 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:21 am

GM-deltronzero wrote:
CalCurtis wrote:That gives me 1941/100*34.2 = 663.882 * 40 = $26,552.88 AUD
This is factually inaccurate and wildly off the mark because:

a. There aren't 1941 users, as you mention (It's closer to 1600)
b. The 34% includes users who are given a free 30 day membership when they join
c. You are assuming that every member has a 12 month membership
d. You're forgetting costs

Other than that, I don't think you'll get anyone who disagrees with you that the communication is and has been poor for some time. If it wasn't for members of the Admin team actively engaging and trying to get answers, there would be even less.
I think some praise and appreciation for the current Admin team is definitely warranted here. They have been keeping the game going while this extended absence from Ash has been happening, and while it is clear everyone is growing increasingly disheartened by the lack of communication from the very top, without the effort from the current Admin in his absence we likely wouldn't have a game at all (or a forum to complain on lol). From what I can see from my armchair it is a relatively thankless job that they manage to do very well given the tough position they are in. Good job lads :thumbsup

CricketGodMate977

Post by CricketGodMate977 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:31 am

simmo014 wrote: I think some praise and appreciation for the current Admin team is definitely warranted here. They have been keeping the game going while this extended absence from Ash has been happening, and while it is clear everyone is growing increasingly disheartened by the lack of communication from the very top, without the effort from the current Admin in his absence we likely wouldn't have a game at all (or a forum to complain on lol). From what I can see from my armchair it is a relatively thankless job that they manage to do very well given the tough position they are in. Good job lads :thumbsup
Totally agree Simmo, I really appreciate the other admins putting the time into letting us know what's going on, I have faith that Ash will come back soon, after all, he's the main admin and he pretty much started this game so we need to show him some respect. As I said in my last post, I've been here for over 10 seasons and the effort Ash put in while I was there was above and beyond.

CricketGodMate977

Post by CricketGodMate977 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:36 pm

GM-Butlee wrote:Just a heads up - I'll probably close this thread in a few days. It wasn't meant to be a long-term kind of threat. I just had some spare time to write decent replies to people and put it up.

re: Marketting & Facebook & Other
This has always been really left to the community. There are a few kinds of troubles imo:

<> Ash himself isn't a marketting guy, so he would need a lot more feedback on what kind of things to do. Also preferably stuff that he doesn't have to micro-manage like facebook/twitter or weekly comps etc...

<> I find it tough - as a GM - to really get involved in a lot of the social media kind of stuff. It tends to either be that you're held accountable in those groups as a spokesperson for the game, or people are forever chasing you down with little questions. I don't often like to pretend I'm a GM and that that makes me different from others when it comes to FTP, but this kind of social media outlet has to be a community-run thing. From a GM's perspective, the game/forums *ARE* the social media platform we share on.

re: Apps
Ruddy, I know you mentioned you'd read some comments on this, but just to reiterate for anyone coming in now - there were a couple of outlets regarding an App.
<> Ash splashed around some more 'mobile device' friendly pages.
<> There was a user who was looking into the input/outputs of the game who may have been interested in helping on this front.

Trouble just being that they both require a lot of Ash's time, and if we got him back on board there are probably in-game things we'd like him to work with first. So I know it's something he has thought on and would like (who wouldn't, right?), but it's hard to prioritise.

re: Admin Time/Effort/Reward
First up, I think you have to thank Deltronzero and recently Crowfan for the bulk of the behind-the-scenes unrewarding stuff.
And second, cheers - we'll take any compliments you have :)

As for why do it if it's unrewarding - I suspect we all have our reasons, but if I know those guys (and Qadir) from working with them, we all just want the game to function as best it can. The Oceans Twelve quote springs to mind:
*after being told he's micromanaging and it's stressing him out*
Rusty - "I don't want a life. I want the hotel to run like a hotel should."
So um.... yeah... nothing to add to that.
Fair enough mate, sorry if it seemed I misused this thread, just saw a few comments and thought I'd have my say, no disrespect at all. Keep up the good work mate!