Virus messages being sent from FTP site

Found a bug? Post the details here. The more information you provide, the more likely we can fix the bug quickly.

Virus messages being sent from FTP site

Postby almo » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:50 am

When trying to watch my matches in FTP over the past week or so I have started to get messages where the webpage changes to say you have a virus and need to delete your system files and other rubbish like that. I have to close IE using task manager as it won't allow you to close the browser even with the X for the window.
I didn't used to get this and I guess it related to some of the advertising FTP is allowing? Could something be done about this please as it's making me not want to use the site any more.
Yes, I know people will suggest use an ad blocker, but this would obviously deny FTP income. I haven't seen the issue on other sites.
Thanks.
almo

Re: Virus messages being sent from FTP site

Postby Smiddie » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:52 am

Download Chrome or Firefox and stop using IE IMO. I've never liked IE for that exact reason.
Smiddie

Postby GM-crowfan65 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:43 pm

Yeah I have never seen anything like that and I predominantly use Firefox with a little Chrome depending on what machine I'm on
Brother Crowfan of the Blessed Spreadsheet
Image Current Aust U19 Asst (Been around far too long)
GarageTM Foundation Member
GM-crowfan65
MOD

Postby GM-Butlee » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:18 pm

Hmm I couldn't replicate (though I have Edge, not IE). I'll try on matchday.

Might be worth running a virus scan mind you, in case there's some kind of malware that either caused or has come from that.

I believe FTP uses a package of ads (from google?) so there really shouldn't be any malicious files/content coming specifically from the ads (else there'd be a worldwide issue about this).
Brother Butters of the Blessed Comebacks
“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” - Aristotle
"Oh, my mistake... I suppose he stares at you longingly, because he's hopeful for a successful military alliance."
GM-Butlee
MOD

Return to Bugs