UAE Seniors

UAE Seniors

Postby DazBurg » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:38 pm

ok i know i haven't been around (freely admit i log in like once a week if not a fortnight atm)

but is anyone running for senior manager (torp pulling the pin mate?)

(not a post trying to see who is running so i can run tbh i have no intention of running not on it enough lately)
ImageUAE Senior Nat Manager
21-24 & 29-34
UAE Offsite
DazBurg

Re: UAE Seniors

Postby GM-Butlee » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:06 am

I have nominated to run for the role. I'm looking for a new challenge and somewhere to settle in, so I hope the folks who vote here are ok with a fly-in kind of guy, and trust that I'll stick around, even if that means as an assistant or similar longer term.

I've spoken with Torpy who was here before and he's happy/keen for me to nominate in his stead. I was just a little slow making sure I wasn't treading on any other toes coming here.

At this stage, saying anything more makes it sound like an election speech, haha. So I'll go write one of those up in the Elections forums.
Brother Butters of the Blessed Comebacks
“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” - Aristotle
"Oh, my mistake... I suppose he stares at you longingly, because he's hopeful for a successful military alliance."
GM-Butlee
MOD

Postby GM-Butlee » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:09 pm

I've just been handed the reigns to the Senior Nat Management gig.

Not promising to magically 'fix' this community or FTP's community as a whole in 2 seasons. But I will keep you guys updated in here how it's going and what we're up to. Basically my idea is if you want to come and learn and enjoy the Nat's (without actively watching every game) you can do so by-proxy in here, and if you want to chat about it I'll be available too.

And if not - that's fine as well. I don't begrudge anyone's opinions, fatigue, enthusiasm levels for FTP, especially nowadays.

I'll probably use this weekend to take a look around (doubt I'll play a friendly). I might kick the entire team and rebuild it too - sorry if you lose stars for a couple of days.

And if I get a management 'team' up and running, we might try and work that via Discord - because that's supposedly where all the cool kids hang these days.

Anything else, just give me a buzz or let me know in here. Cheers all.
“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” - Aristotle
"Oh, my mistake... I suppose he stares at you longingly, because he's hopeful for a successful military alliance."
GM-Butlee
MOD

Postby DazBurg » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:02 am

congrats butlee
glad you got the gig good luck mate :clap
21-24 & 29-34
UAE Offsite
DazBurg

Postby GM-Butlee » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:03 pm

Second Day on the Job

pconference.jpg

(quiet please)

"Greetings and thanks for having me. I'm happy to be here and excited to get down to business. First up I want to (re-)introduce my assistant Alan..."

*Motions awkwardly to the empty seat next to him*

".. who will be helping out when his time permits him."

Departures

We'd like to announce that Tahir Azim & Hakeem Qasem are departing the squad at this stage. Unfortunately neither player has had an International competitive cap yet, but hopefully these fringe players have appreciated the experience of working within the National Team setup. Tahir, at age 31, is probably going to struggle with a hectic Tour schedule and we're looking at options who'll be prepared for the World Cup at the end of Season 41. Qasem will certainly be in contention for selection in the future - being only 27 he's a near certainty to get a call-up soon. Just in the short term we're going another way.

Another seamer that's going to make way is 27yr old RM Uthman Zabityte. Fact of the matter is that we have 29yr old Kareef Essa filling that role and there's simply no situation where, tactically, we'd need the 2nd medium. I know that's unfortunate for Uthman since he has yet to secure a National Cap as well, but if I'm being honest I can't see him ever earning one - Essa will out-last him well into his 30's and by that time someone else will likely steal the Medium Pace spotlight.

UAE Trans1.png

Arrivals

Specifically that means we're bringing in Kamal Shareef. 29yr old RFM. While no player is perfect, some are just too good to be overlooked. We're taking a trade off in secondaries here to give us another ACE attacking weapon (with huge primaries). The aim is to have a bowling 'kit' of options and while you'll still probably find guys like Baha, Isam and Ata leading the line, Shareef gives us something different if we need to try it.

Secondly, as a straight swap for Azim, we're bringing in 28yr old right-hand Fastie Makhi Haqq. I know he's been on the radar here for a while and I think it's valuable to have 2 express seamers in the squad. And to be honest I think it's important to keep 7 pacemen in the squad - if you get a tour without Dry decks you may well want 6-7 quicks and I don't like calling people up last minute. As for Makhi himself, he's got Skilled Power, great fielding and he's being trained by a fellow Nat Manager - so we know he'll take good care of him.

And in that third bowling slot we've opened up, we're going to bring in another spinner. Nabeel Xavier is another one of those players who seems too good to leave out. He's pretty good with the bat and has World Class technique which helps. That leaves us just a little heavy on spin bowlers in the squad - something we will rectify going forward - but for now he was on par with the current guys and I wanted to get a good look at him.

Still to Come

We've got some more work to do. There are a couple of bowlers in the community I want to look at, I want 2nd opinions on and I want to chat with their managers before bringing them on board.
Naturally we need to take a proper look at the batting.
I also want to announce 2-3 players as our 'captaincy unit' where they will share the duties and it will seldom go outside their control.

I've also got another little idea I want to try implement, but I'll need to make sure we get the squad numbers right first.

Also also, I will give some thoughts on some of our players in a little "intro" style. So stay tuned for that :D

*Stands and shuffles out of press conference*
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GM-Butlee
MOD

Postby GM-Butlee » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:41 am

SCOvUAE.png

vs Scotland
16 February 2019

Flat / Windy

First match of the season under new management and we were treated to a belter of a wicket by Scotland, with just enough wind about to cause trouble.

Bowling-wise we mixed a bit of the old with a bit of the new with key veterans Baha and Sami taking the field alongside debutant FM Kamal Shareef. We were also lined up to throw dual Opener talents, Sameh & Luqman at them - hoping to smash them early on a Flat deck!

Scotland's innings started well as Crawford really took to the quicks and after 11 fruitless overs (0 for 64) we finally got a breakthrough with our 2nd change option Ata. He and Shareef toiled for a few overs before we decided we had to call in the big guns. Our Wrist-spinning maestro came into the attack in the 15th over, and despite letting Crawford clip 2 to bring up his half century (off just 38 balls!), Sami immediately got one to float in and tempt the batsman with an swipe across the line - the result saw the ball pop out to gully. 2 for 92.

Shareef.png

The Scots were still coasting beyond 6 an over at this point despite some great fielding across the park. Shareef got his debut wicket, but it didn't slow them down, posting 150 just before the end of the 25th over, and setting up for a big total. Baha came on straight after drinks and took another wicket and at 4 down with 24 overs still to bat, we went on that attack - Sami came back in and Shareef took over from Baha at the other end. The scoring rate slowed, scoring shots reduced to singles and the Run Rate dropped to almost 5.50. Baha came back to bowl out in the 35th over and jagged another wicket and at 5-204 (36 overs) the game could really have gone either way!

The resilience and depth from the batting side paid off here - as Baha & Sami bowled out it was left in the hands of our FM's to close out the innings. AR Christie came in to join settled bat Hamilton, and the latter took to the offensive in the final ten overs. It was a flourishing finish, befitting of a Flat deck, as Scotland lost wickets but continued to swing the bat. They smashed 90 runs in the final ten overs and set a significant total in the first innings - 7 for 312.

ScotInngs.png

In a stark contrast between innings, we struggled to turn dots into scoring shots early on. Scotland utilised their powerful, experienced opening quicks and they battled to take out both our openers. After 10 overs it was 2-53 and we were already looking at a 6.50 RRR for the last 40 overs. Saad (8 off 22) was joined at the crease by Kaleel and we essentially had to start over. Scotland responded by bringing out their wrist-spinner Coupar. We'd already seen what Sami did for us, so immediately the pressure mounted.

Saad greated him with a boundary and we managed to get the scoreboard ticketing. Unfortunately Coupar was to get his revenge on the side, as more of our batsmen fell having offered mere cameos - Kaleel (18 off 21) and Kardel (14 off 16) came out of the blocks too quickly and essentially got out before they were settled. Saad meanwhile, was playing a patient innings - someone had to be there at the end - making just 31 off 43. Hasan (4 off 9) feel and we went into drinks almost entirely out of the race at 5 for 118. We needed an incredible 7.8 an over for 25 overs, with 5 wickets down and just 1 established batsmen left. 195 runs still to get just seemed far too many. Losing Baha just 1 over after drinks only made things worse!

UaePart.png

But our brave #3 Saad was still there, sitting on 42 off 62. He may well have been part of the problem so far. By not pushing the issue enough he assigned pressure to our other batsmen. He would need to put in a stellar shift to redeem himself. He signalled some intent by hitting 10 runs off the 26th over to bring up his 50, but then went back into his shell as he and Sami knuckled down to survive the onslaught of opening quick bowler Denness and a return from Coupar - as Scotland went for the jugular.

But survive they did! And we hit the end of the 35th over still 6 wickets down. We had 154 runs still to get, and somehow, remarkably, with Saad still there on 65 (off 96), there was some semblance of hope. The boys hit 11 runs off the 36th over, and then were restricted by some great fielding over a few overs, but Saad really struck home in the 40th over... taking 17 runs from it and bringing up his century! Now we had 10 overs left and 104 to get. Could it possibly be done!?

Uae40.png

Coupar came back and bowled Sami through the gate, and now we were all down to Saad. His seeming ignorance of the scoring rate earlier on was starting to look like the appropriate prudence as he had gelled the innings together. And now we were asking him to bring it home. Farming pressure combined, but he ploughed on. 11 runs off the 44th over, but dropped in the 45th - a lifeline! It was still challenging and there were singles refused to keep Ata off strike. 5 overs left, 66 runs required.
After hitting 3 boundaries in 1 over the battle, which had seemed all but over just an hour ago, was raging. It was no longer how quickly Scotland could bowl our UAE, it was how much scoring prevention they could do to stop Saad from smashing us home!

Alas, the fairy tale ending was not to be. Scoring 15-20 an over was slightly too much for 1 batsman while Scotland did well to keep the ball on the spot and keep us to (refused) singles.

End of over 50 (6 runs) - UAE(292-7). 21 runs required from 0 overs. RR 5.84 RRR 0.00
J. Ata 5 (10b), Q. Saad 176 (160b), S. Boak (rfm) 10-0-59-0

Scotland won by 20 runs

So congrats to the Scots who really batted well and managed to rattle us early. We can take heart that we made a game of it, and also from the magnificent 176 not out from Saad! What an incredible effort!

UAESaad.png

Impressive ratings and we managed to test out a couple of new players as well. Ultimately I'm very happy with the work from the players, especially considering the match was just 1 day after being appointed Manager. We've got some work to do, but it was a nice, exciting game.. and we may well not see many better innings than that over the next 2 years!!

SCOvUAErate.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GM-Butlee
MOD

Postby GM-Butlee » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:07 am

23 Feb
vs Bermuda [Hard / Overcast]

Lineups

I thought we'd do a quick rundown of setting the lineup. Just so you have an idea of the thought process that goes into it. Maybe this is silly or annoying or long-winded. I don't expect everyone to suddenly bow down to my way of thinking, lol, but sometimes it's interesting hearing how other people go about it.

First up we're on Hard / Overcast and imo we pick 2 things from the start - we ignore our finger spin AR's because they'll get belted, and we can use our mega-star bat Saad at #3 again in these conditions.

Bowling.png

I tend to pick the bowlers first - if for no other reason than it gives you an idea of the AR options you have for each match. Here we have very little so it's a fairly moot point. We are playing to win, so experimentation is limited. It's more like 'getting a feel for the squad' than actual experimentation at this stage.

First pick bowler is our star Fastie Baha. I tend to think of he and Ata as our new ball bowlers despite not having the talents. I like the right/left combo (even though it doesn't work like that) thematically. But today Isam is in a bit of form and Ata is in ordinary form - still going to use both FM's, but we'll give Isam the new ball. The other seamer I wanted to trial (again) is Shareef. Last game he got no help from the conditions and these aren't much better. With Baha also on ordinary form, I feel like a bit of experimentation could be in order. Shareef has a very specific skillset - he's not your typically balanced player - and ultimately I want him to be a strike bowler. So we're going to give him the new ball alongside Isam and let Isam bowl a normal spell and have Shareef got for wickets in a shorter spell. I figure all our bowlers are going to go for 5-7 an over early anyway, may as well see if we can grab 1-2 wickets in that time.

UAEseam.png

If that's not working we're ready to make a quick switch to Ata and Baha will come on the other end as well. In terms of other bowlers, for mine it's just important to have not all 'samey' and our 5th seam options are either just another FM or Medium pacer Essa - we will make use of Essa, just not on Hard/Flat decks lol. There is an up-and-coming Fastie we have named Haqq, but he needs some more power before we rely on him on these batting decks. So that means we default back to Sami. The thing is, if the side isn't still relatively competitive overall we don't learn anything from our experimenting. So we default to Sami because he gives us something different and will do a solid job holding an end.

SamiCareer.png

The bowling spells wiggle a bit, but we're going to bowl Sami out in two 5-ov spells, and let all 4 of our seamers have a cameo in the final ten. Going to go out on a limb and say if we can keep them to 275 I'm happy.

Batting.png

First choice for us is wicket keepers. This isn't so much a hard and fast rule that I have, it's more because one of our main WK's Sameh is an Opener - so when you pick him it defines how the rest of your lineup will fare. Today though we're going with Hamdan - arguably our #2 wicket keeper, but he has more power, which I think will help in these conditions. That's a bit unfair to the in-form Sameh, but this is one of those mini-experiments you do to make sure you've seen everyone in action.
To that end I've slotted our non-Opener wicket keeper in at #4. Per my 'default' ideas (below) where we don't have specific roles for players, we start them in the middle spots for now until the batting lineup develops.

UAEBatOrders.png

Next pick is Luqman - he's a powerful Opening batsman - power being really useful on Hard. Fantastic player and I think Opener talent is one of the most powerful because it gets you going and sometimes just getting settled is half the battle. Speaking of powerful players who we could really rely on if they got going, our 31yr old vet Kaleel is in form and so I thought we'd give him a run opening the batting. He's got Skilled Batting and he's just as powerful at Luqman. It's a Hard deck so there are runs on offer here - it'll be a challenge against the seamers because of the conditions, but two of our best batsmen are up there fighting so I'm keen to see how they go. After all it's still a friendly and if they fail, we'll know not to be so gung-ho about taking the challenge to quicks when the weather turns like this. So again it's not really an 'experiment', so much as mini-experiment or just testing the waters/getting a feel for things.

Last innings on Flat we tried to use our Finisher Hasan at #6 and it didn't work out (he was in and our loooong before his talent helped) so today I wanted to try out Zuhair. He's 29 - so some of our current 30yr olds will have to move on before the WC, and we will be looking for guys like Zuhair to take on their responsibilities. No talent on Zuhair, but what he has going for him is; captaincy, experience, power and great fielding. I think those secondary attributes make a big difference when you get pitches that tend to somewhat 'quash' the gap in primaries.

UAE Zuhair.png

That leaves us with 1 last spot and a handful of options. Two accumulators - a talent I'm not specifically fond of, but also prefer it on difficult batting decks. On Hard you want to think you can score more than 1-2 every delivery so accumulator always just feels like it's not doing enough. There's actually no reason we couldn't bring in the 2nd wicket keeper Sameh and just have him as a full time opening bat for this one. But the option I've gone with is Boundary Hitter Kardel - he's powerful, he's got solid fielding and if we bring him in for those middle-roles I mentioned he might just hit some BH runs when the scoring rate typically tapers off a bit.

So that leaves us with the below. It's all a bit of a reveal, but not too much. I've deliberately left off the aggression settings lol - I think know those kind of gives too much away on my own style, which could be used against us. But the logic for lineups changes each week so you won't get much advantage from studying my ideas for this one.

UAEBatting.png

Anyway, I hope that was interesting to a few folks. If you want to chit chat in here feel free. It's not an 'announcements from Butlee' section lol. I'm just writing up anything I think will be interesting.
GM-Butlee
MOD

Postby DazBurg » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:10 pm

i love the effort and in depth analysis you put into your review's butlee :thumbsup
21-24 & 29-34
UAE Offsite
DazBurg

Postby GM-Butlee » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:04 am

Haha cheers mate. Won't do big long reports every week, but I'll try and keep doing fun stuff as I think of it :D
GM-Butlee
MOD

Postby GM-Butlee » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:20 am

Just wanted to (steal an idea off someone else) and give a shout-out to all the managers who are going without players so we can use them. I don't know if many will check, but I always appreciate the sacrifice they make, even if they don't have much choice sometimes (though if they ask maybe we can work something out).

Tour Squad #1

Tour1Squad.PNG
GM-Butlee
MOD

Postby GM-Butlee » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:10 am

Our first tour match starts in a few (4)hours - 9am FTP time.

We're opening up against India on Sticky / Windy which has actually fallen well for us considering we've taken 5 spinners.

We have
Dry
Dry
Crumbling

So our bowling attack should bend quite nicely over the week and whoever is still fit by Friday will be able to contribute on Crumbling.

I actually think a bit part of our week will rely on the batting. All the bowling decks will mean all the bowlers can do well, but we've got a hugely rated batting line - we need to use that to our advantage and be mightier in difficult conditions than our opponents.

If you're online for the match, feel free to drop by Discord and "@" me - the folks in there will tell you how if you're unsure. I should be around during at least the first innings most evenings.
GM-Butlee
MOD

Return to UAE