Player Wage Increases

How can we improve the game? Please post your ideas here.
umpires11

Player Wage Increases

Post by umpires11 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:36 pm

Seeing the season play out under the new weekly age system, I can’t help but think there could be some merit in having players wages change when the move from xx & 14 weeks to xx+1 & 0 weeks.

I think it’ll give a fairer reflection on the player’s abilities. As I see it now, a player pulled in week 0 or 1 gets close to a full season before a wage increase close to their ‘birthday’. Meanwhile the week 14 and 15 pulls only get a week or 2 of training before a slight bump which then makes them look worse at say 16 years/14 weeks.

GM-crowfan65
CAPT

Re: Player Wage Increases

Post by GM-crowfan65 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:58 am

That only applies if you are solely using wages as a guide to how good the player is which is very difficult to do tbh

The reason we didn't change it t the time is for budgeting reasons, having players change wages mid season just doesn't sit well with me
Master Crowfan of the Blessed Spreadsheet
Image Current Aust U20 Manager
GarageTM Foundation Member

PowerBug

Post by PowerBug » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:00 pm

Look at player wages like a contract. Start of each season the player gets a 1 season contract and the wages they get paid are based off their skills. It's like the negotiation side of player contracts are already done for you.
Back again for a second go at this game, link to team here. All aboard the Image bandwagon this time!

Cynic

Post by Cynic » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:26 pm

PowerBug wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:00 pm
Look at player wages like a contract. Start of each season the player gets a 1 season contract and the wages they get paid are based off their skills. It's like the negotiation side of player contracts are already done for you.
That's what I'm thinking. Don't think of wage increases as updating as a player ages up. Think of them as updating as seasons pass.
Yellow Comet The Hybrid Dolphins
My post count remains my greatest achievement in this world.

KeithHadden

Post by KeithHadden » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:56 am

In a real life situation player contracts, which include salary agreements, are done at the start of a season and remain unchanged until the next season. I don't see why FTP should be any different.

James018

Post by James018 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:17 pm

Another way to think of it is, suppose you have a player who is 16/17/18... years and 12 weeks old at the change in season. Having their wage updated at that time means they have a much higher wage for the first 3 weeks of the season, but then a slightly lower wage for the next 12 weeks than if their wage was updated on their birthday. Approximately, it'll even out. The only considerable difference is that wages are all updated in one hit over the off-season - which then makes financial planning for the season a lot easier.
Manager of the mighty North Eastern CC.
Australian NAT assistant, Season 42-present.