SA Senior National team S48

A place for players in South Africa to communicate.
Cjackson94

SA Senior National team S48

Post by Cjackson94 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:23 am

Hi everyone,

I thought I’d add something to the forums this season see if we can get some discussions rolling and to keep everyone in the loop with the national team.

Last season wasn’t great, we only managed a couple of wins in each tour, hoping to turn things around for this season.

We have added the vastly experienced Egan to the team, who has previously been involved with the NAT team some time in the past. He will be using his experience and knowledge to help out with squad selection and tactics.

I have made some changes to the squad in the off season, going for a younger squad this season a lot of the old boys are retiring and it was really sad to see J.Lansom go a couple of weeks ago. For those on discord I added a tribute to him on there.

We have a 29 man squad for the season so far, will be adding another player to that list within a week after discussions with the team.

Batsmen -
Amla 28.10
Deveraux 28.10
Van der westhuizen 32.00
Olivier 30.07
Trenerry 30.13
Kallis 31.09
Mboyi 29.10
Herbst 30.14
Van straaten 29.14
Du plessis 30.03

Wicket keepers -
Rundell 31.00
Tsvangirai 26.09
Seccull 26.13
Such 30.00

All rounders -
Sweet 29.13
Boucher 31.14
Hodgetts 29.14
McPherson 28.08
Simmons 27.09

Bowlers -
Barnard 28.10
De Vaal 26.14
Goche 28.11
Greaves 30.08
Makunra 30.00
Mutizwa 27.09
Howell 29.06
Valesquez 28.13
Nyathi 30.00
Vernon 26.14

There are a couple of names in there that are on their last legs, but hoping for another tour or 2 from them. I’ll update on here when changes are made.

I’ll also add touring squads on here for the season.

Feel free to ask me any questions on here or add comments, hopefully we can have a decent season this year and get a couple of promotions.

Cal
Moorlands Radio & Jacksons Barbers
South Africa 🇿🇦 NAT manager (Current)
South Africa 🇿🇦 NAT Assistant (Season 45-46)

Cjackson94

Re: SA Senior National team S48

Post by Cjackson94 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:50 pm

First official friendly today for the new season.

Sunny/flat conditions so I was expecting a high scoring game.

We bowled Scotland out for 142, goche getting a 5fer!!

Thought we would cruise that total but struggled all the way, we won but with only 3 wickets left. Herbst top scoring with 45

Rated 268k, mainly first teamers but less allrounders because of flat.

Link to game if anyone’s interested.

https://www.fromthepavilion.org/scoreca ... Id=5820545

Cal

Cjackson94

Post by Cjackson94 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:10 am

We have filled the final spot in the squad by adding etienne Nomis. Another younger player that needs a bit more time to develop but has great potential.

A batsmen at 26.14 high primaries but only outs power at the minute.

His captaincy and talents are perfect, just needs half a season on strength to be ready.

Look forward to getting him involved.

Cal

Cjackson94

Post by Cjackson94 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:30 pm

2nd friendly of the season today.

Played Zimbabwe at Newlands on a cloudy/slow pitch expecting a low scoring game.

Thought I’d give some of the fringe players ago, so a mix of first teamers and fringe players.

A debut for batsmen du plessis and all rounder Sweet. Du plessis was poor with the bat unfortunately only making 4. Sweet managed a 5 not out and 0-52 which wasn’t great for the conditions but did a job. Hopefully both players can pick up their performances in upcoming friendlies.

We batted first and hit a very respectable 269-7, hashim Amla top scoring with 53. Zimbabwe fell short of the target by 20 runs, so another victory again today. Allrounder McPherson pick of the bowlers with 2-42, looking like a great prospect for us.

Rated 272k as well which I am really happy with, that’s with the 3 allrounders playing today though.

Link to game- https://www.fromthepavilion.org/comment ... Id=5820639

Look forward to the next one.

Cal

Maiden50

Post by Maiden50 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:47 pm

Hope you have a bit more luck this season pal (except against us)! Happy to arrange some friendlies whenever you fancy!
Maiden Over CC
Maiden Scotland CC
West Indies NAT Manager Season 45-

boscorp

Post by boscorp » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:31 pm

You sure were unlucky last season Cal. We toured with a strong enough squad out rating a lot of opponents and some fine individual performances.
This seasons squad is starting to show a bit of promise if our friendlies are anything to go by.
Good Luck with the tours this season.
South Africa U19 Manager seasons 38-41.
Boscorp Cross season 14 - current

Cjackson94

Post by Cjackson94 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:58 pm

Maiden50 wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:47 pm
Hope you have a bit more luck this season pal (except against us)! Happy to arrange some friendlies whenever you fancy!
Cheers maiden, all the best for the season to you too, congrats on making another t20 World Cup final :thumbsup

I’m game for a few friendlies whenever you want, got some younger guys I’d like to try out if you wanted to do a friendly for the younger members of the squad, say a sub 30 Xi.

Good luck in the final :thumbsup

Cal

Cjackson94

Post by Cjackson94 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:01 pm

boscorp wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:31 pm
You sure were unlucky last season Cal. We toured with a strong enough squad out rating a lot of opponents and some fine individual performances.
This seasons squad is starting to show a bit of promise if our friendlies are anything to go by.
Good Luck with the tours this season.
Thanks Boscorp, we seemed to lose every time we outrated our opponents last season. I think our allrounders and batsmen just had an off season.

Plenty of changes to the squad this season, some young guns coming through. I’m looking forward to the tours

Cheers for your support :thumbsup

Cal

Cjackson94

Post by Cjackson94 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:19 pm

3rd friendly of the season today against Bermuda.

Was expecting a tough test for the batsmen on a sticky wicket, so decided to play 4 allrounders.

Batted first and didn’t need all the allrounders in the end. We started off with a 125 opening stand between Rundell and the allrounder Simmons. Both knocking 50s. We managed a total of 321-7 in the end! :shock: probably the highest score I have seen on sticky in a while. Amla continued his good form with the high score of 110 not out.

I think Bermuda may have forgot to set the bowling orders as a couple of batsmen had a bowl which aided us in the high score.

Despite their great batting ratings we managed to bowl them out for 94. Some excellent bowling performances all round. Some shoddy fielding today though which will definitely be noted. McPherson the pick of the bowlers with 3-19.

We rated 267k which is okay but their is definitely room for improvement.

Link to game if anyone is interested - https://www.fromthepavilion.org/scoreca ... Id=5821129

Another great win to start the season, let’s hope this continues :thumbsup

Cal

boscorp

Post by boscorp » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:30 am

267k is pretty good considering form has been reset down to reasonable.
Looks like we are a bit stretched for left arm bowlers, are there any coming through on the fringes?
We look a decent chance to perform well on tour this season.

Cjackson94

Post by Cjackson94 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:35 pm

boscorp wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:30 am
267k is pretty good considering form has been reset down to reasonable.
Looks like we are a bit stretched for left arm bowlers, are there any coming through on the fringes?
We look a decent chance to perform well on tour this season.
Yeah it’s decent but thought it may have been a bit higher with the 4 allrounders, form does have a big impact on MR.

I have had a look at the depth and it doesn’t look great at the minute for left armers, we have de Vaal in the squad but he is at least a season a way, he needs exp and a bit of strength.

There is a couple in the player pool that are coming through so we might see another addition later in the season. Nobody that’s great though and catches the eye.

Not a massive concern as I can still manage with the variety we have but it would be nice to have a left armer to turn to.

I’m quietly confident about the tours this season, hoping to get us out of Div 3.

Cal

Cjackson94

Post by Cjackson94 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:39 pm

Friendly number 4 today against UAE.

Bit of a mixed team, mainly fringe players with a few first teamers. A crumbling pitch so I was expecting a difficult day for the batsmen.

Lost the toss and was put into bat (I would have batted anyway).

Top order failed and we got off to a shaky start 46-4, a rare failure for Amla who I decided to open, probably a poor decision on my part after he has done so well batting at 3 and 4.

Then some great partnerships in the middle and lower order. Allrounder McPherson showing his class once again.

We ended up making 236-6, 50s for McPherson and du plessis. Handy knocks from van straaten and Hodgetts as well. McPherson top scored with 56 not out.

Our bowling performance was spot on once again bowling UAE out for 120. Wickets for each bowler but Goche was the standout performer with 3-22 off his 10 overs.

McPherson MOM once again, seems quite common at the minute.

Another great victory, hoping form can continue.

Low ratings today at 256k, possibly because of the fringe players and only 2 allrounders in the XI.

Link to game - https://www.fromthepavilion.org/scoreca ... Id=5821142

Looking forward to the next one.

Cal

Cjackson94

Post by Cjackson94 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:27 pm

Friendly today against the Netherlands.

Lost the toss on a slow pitch and was put into bat (would have batted anyway)

Got off to a terrible start and none of our batsmen were settled at the crease. We scrambled to 161 all out with main man Amla top scoring with 33. A very disappointing batting performance where we only batted 42.5 overs. I suppose we do have off days now and again.

Netherlands got off to a great start and cruised to chase the total only losing 3 wickets. A valiant effort from our spinners but a dreadful display from lead pacer mutizwa who was all over the place.

We rated 160k

Link to match - https://www.fromthepavilion.org/scoreca ... Id=5820711

Nevermind, I knew the streak wouldn’t last for ever, lots to learn from this defeat, going give the FM makunra a game, the fasties are out of form at the minute.

Bring on the next one!

Cal

Cjackson94

Post by Cjackson94 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:36 pm

Friendly today away against the Irish

A dry pitch so was looking forward to a good spin contest. I looked at the team sheet and noticed that Ireland were playing a very strong batting lineup so was expecting a tough game.

Won the toss and batted. Some great partnerships from the top order, including a handy 37 from redick on debut. We batted the full overs knocking 282-9. Main man Amla top scoring with 60. Happy with the total but knew that Ireland had the strong batting lineup.

We got off to a great start with the ball, Hodgetts getting a couple of wickets in his first spell. The Irish kept losing wickets and never looked settled at the crease. We eventually bowled them out for 168, meaning a massive 114 run win! Howell had his chance with the ball today and didn’t disappoint, an excellent 3-24 from his 10 overs, a match winning spell.

Hodgetts was given MOM for his 29 runs and 3 wickets with the ball.

We were out rated today, only rated 258k.

Link to game - https://www.fromthepavilion.org/scoreca ... Id=5821153

Happy to bounce back after last games defeat.

Bring on the next one!

Cal

boscorp

Post by boscorp » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:31 pm

Its a good confidence booster for us to strike up a few good wins before a tour.
We look to be developing a good squad for the future with some nice players coming through.
It looks like we will be in for a tough season with the tours again, although with our rejuvenated squad and overall lack of experience we can look forward to some good improvements during the season as our squad gains more experience.