West Indies Fan's Player of the Season (47 + T20WC) POLL

A place for players in the West Indies to communicate.

Vote for your West Indies Player of the Season (47 + T20 WC)

Poll ended at Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:06 pm

Aaron Munilall (Gold Prospectors X1 --> Golden Hacks CC)
13%
Carl Beresford (John Peters Espionage PLC)
7%
Len Thomas (Caribbean Pirates)
47%
Thornton Ishmael (Mewtwo Strikes Back)
27%
Vivalyn Hector (Al Khobar Falcons)
7%

Total votes: 15

Maiden50

West Indies Fan's Player of the Season (47 + T20WC) POLL

Post by Maiden50 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:06 pm

Quirkily has kindly written a superb review of the past season and put together his top 3 players of the season for each format. This nicely leads us into a new award starting this season:

FAN'S PLAYER OF THE SEASON

We would like as many Windies fans, rival fans, whoever sees this thread... to read quirkily's quick review (quoted below) and then to vote in the poll. Feel free to look through some of the great performances we have had this season to help you decide (just forget the T20 WC final happened pls).

7 days to vote. Get voting. Who will win the inaugural Fan's POTS?
Maiden Over CC
Maiden Scotland CC
West Indies NAT Manager Season 45-

Maiden50

Re: West Indies Fan's Player of the Season (47 + T20WC) POLL

Post by Maiden50 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:07 pm

quirkilyalive wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:05 pm
West Indies: Season 47 Review
Apologies beforehand that this review includes the most-recent Twenty-20 World Cup Statistics and not the One Day World Cup that happened before it, whereas the actual matches stored count that One Day World Cup in Season 47, and the Twenty-20 one in Season 48.

Twenty-20 Season Review
The Twenty-20 Season for West Indies began with a Division 1 trip to Netherlands, and it was an unfruitful one. Only beating the wooden-spoon holders United States of America, the young West Indian squad saw a demotion to Division 2 handed to them. The Division 2 Tour would occur this season, and whilst the fixtures for it are released, it is still a few weeks away, certainly an OD Tour away, that'd happen before that. This was followed by a much more happier time at the Twenty-20 World Cup in the previous week. A good run in the group stages, and a sneaky win against the English in the semi finals were some happy memories, before ofcourse, the unspeakable collapse.(btw, just knowing myself, I reckon there are going to be quite a few jokes related to the unspeakable collapse this following season.)

The top 3 players, in the writer's head, in the 12 Twenty-20 matches we played this season were:
Len Thomas Caribbean Pirates
Len Thomas ended the highest run-scorer for the West Indian side in the tour, and the World Cup, accumulating 230 runs across the 7 innings he got to bat. He consistently gave performances, adding beneficial runs to the team's cause, coming in under high-pressure circumstances on quite a few occasions. His 72* against Bermuda and 50* against United States of America are undoubtedly games wherein he took on the charge of getting the chase done. He played anchor in the former, and second fiddle to Vivalyn Hector in the latter. But, to add to that his 41, where he pulled the team out of 25/5 against England in our tour-opener, or the very smartly executed 44* in the semi-finals against the English again to get us to the finals were proof of his sheer smartness and execution.

Vivalyn Hector Al Khobar Falcons
The second-highest run scorer after Len Thomas on both tours, accumulating 217 runs, at a strike rate of 150+, until he had to face India twice in three days, which took his strike rate down to 126.90, Vivalyn Hector was a shining star for the West Indians this season. His 73* against United States of America, was the first exhibit of the power of his sheer aggression, and one saw that aggression continue in a blitzing 45 against Bangladesh in the World Cup. Amongst the most impressive knocks from Hector, was a careful and precise 34 in a chase of 82, wherein he tackled a poor pitch and some solid quick bowling to get two good partnerships that got West Indies comfortably over the line against India in the league stages of the World Cup.

Thornton Ishmael Mewtwo Strikes Back
The highest wicket taker on both Twenty-20 escapades for the Windies, Ishmael had a glorious debut season. 16 wickets over 7 matches, at an economy of 6.50, with a five-for that truly was a game where he pinned the unbeaten Indian side down in the league stages. An impressive 3-for in the Division 1 Tour against United States of America, added to the fact that he hasn't yet had a wicketless outing, defines his wicket-taking ability and the class of bowling at any stage of this short, explosive and dynamite format.

One Day Season Review
The One Day season was much more topsy-turvy. Hosting the first tour of the season, West Indies had a poor start to their campaign after a disappointing World Cup. Struggling to find wins in the tour, West Indies barely survived Division 2, by 6 runs to be exact, in one of the most thrilling matches I've witnessed thus far. The second tour took place in India, and saw West Indies master the art of chasing, with 4 wins in a row to grab promotion to Division 1. The Division 1 Tour for Season 48 will begin in a few weeks.

In the longer format, my method of judging the performances has been slightly different, as I've attempted to look at the effect they've had on the match, rather than the bulk of the performance.

Len Thomas Caribbean Pirates
Len Thomas had a fruitful Season 47, but in the larger format, despite having just a single fifty in the entire season, his performances were ones that brought West Indies back into the game. A 62* against United Arab Emirates to ensure a West Indian victory in the first tour, followed by a 42 against Canada, when the odds were stacked against the West Indian side. A 31* against Pakistan that got West Indies over the line when the chase was a little tumultuous and a 38 against India, that yet again, had similar Len Thomas innings qualities of batting against an ongoing collapse, when the bowlers have an edge over the batters. These innings, and the fact that all of them turned into wins due to more support, showed how well Len Thomas could change things in West Indies's favour.

Carl Beresford John Peters Espionage PLC
Carl Beresford was amongst the only reasons West Indies survived Division 2 in the first tour of Season 47. A 4-for against Australia went in vain, but Carl Beresford's true excellence came out against the Irish. In a relegation battle, his 5-for not only managed to break through the Irish top-order, but also got rid of the very sturdy middle that seemed to be going good to get the chase over with. Following it up with more economical performances next tour, and a fantastic 3-27 that choked the Aussie line-up were more matches that he could have in his highlight.

Aaron Munilall Gold Prospectors X1 & Golden Hacks CC
Another debutant that undoubtedly was amongst the players that became a definite for every tour was Aaron Munilall. A seam bowling all-rounder is a luxury, and with the kind of performances this lad kept on giving, he proved his worth more and more. Adding to him being almost consistently economical, and having the knack of getting the odd wicket here and there, the very impressive factor about Munilall was his ability to carry the team out of the drenches, and towards the finish line with his absolute batting prowess.
His 63*(55) pulled West Indies to 275 runs, when they were about to fold under 200, in a game where they survived Division 2 by six runs. A chase against the Aussies was almost messed up until Munilall's 36*(38) joined hands with Floyd Doctrove to get the job done. Another chase against the Indians that was in the wrinkles, and whilst the heroes of the chase were Colin Eugene and Sugrim Hughes' 18*, like Thomas above, Munilall gave an important hand of 45(47) to take West Indies close to the target.

These were the players I felt were the lads who consistently turned games into wins for us and were impressive on the field for us. Obviously, nothing to take away from the other lads who have consistently performed and have been an absolutely important part of the squad as well. Yet again, thank you for constantly training West Indian lads, and hopefully we get more quality come our way for the Senior side:)

An option to vote for the lad the readers and the fans of the West Indian side thought was the best one has been set by the fantastic manager Maiden50. Do vote, we'd love to have interaction with the community, and hopefully you've enjoyed the topsy-turvy West Indian tours thus far:)
Maiden Over CC
Maiden Scotland CC

beecee8
MOD

Post by beecee8 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:17 am

vote Beresford

with the added bonus that his club manager taught me everything I know :ninja
Brother Beecee, Procurement and Special Technique
The names Peters, John Peters, of the famous O'Peters Clan
GarageTM Member

mewtwo

Post by mewtwo » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:49 am

Oooooooo nice thread and summary guys

Didn't expect Ismael to serve you guys well when I first bought him with those Spect/Spect attributes but looks like it's worked!

Bustergut

Post by Bustergut » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:23 am

mewtwo wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:49 am
Oooooooo nice thread and summary guys

Didn't expect Ismael to serve you guys well when I first bought him with those Spect/Spect attributes but looks like it's worked!
Can't beat a fast bowler......
Season 11 u19 World Cup Winner
Seasons 22 & 47 Windies Double Winners

Seasons 46 & 47 Irish Double Winners

Maiden50

Post by Maiden50 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:02 am

We're at 10 votes, I'd love to reach 20 if possible! Pretty close so a few votes here or there could totally change the result :thumbsup
Maiden Over CC
Maiden Scotland CC

Nazim

Post by Nazim » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:34 pm

My Vote Thorton Ishmael.
My recruit . Fast bowling at its best.

Maiden50

Post by Maiden50 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:11 pm

Nazim wrote: