The "How to Train?" topic (part 2)

New to the game? This is the forum for you. In this forum there is no such thing as a silly question :), although please make sure to browse through the game manual before posting.
Post Reply
GA-James018
MOD
Posts: 1557
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:56 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: The "How to Train?" topic (part 2)

Post by GA-James018 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:50 pm

It depends on personal preference. Power is at its peak training speed from ages 23 to 27 before starting to slow down again, while batting, bowling, fielding, keeping and technique continually train more slowly with each year. So, technically, holding off on training power until mid-to-late 20s will give your player higher skills in the long run, but at the cost of worse performance in the short-term.

Realistically, most people try and find a balance. Some people will train power for 1 or 2 pops per season in a player's early-to-mid 20s, and then switch back to batting/bowling/etc. training for the rest of the season. Others just pick an age or right time to switch to power training full-time, perhaps around 24ish. Again, it's up to you to decide, there isn't necessarily a right answer suited to everyone.
Manager of the mighty North Eastern CC.
Australian NAT assistant, Season 42-46.

lankyitfc
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:59 pm

Re: The "How to Train?" topic (part 2)

Post by lankyitfc » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:55 am

Hi all- I just pulled this player. At a bit of a loss on how to train!! Any suggestions welcome.

16y0w | 25,024 rating | $1,086 wage (5% discount)

Right hand batsman | Right arm Finger spin

Talents Arm Ball
Nationality Scotland Scotland
Form reasonable
Fatigue rested
Experience dreadful
Captaincy capable
Skills Summary
Batsman ordinary
Bowler ordinary
Keeper ordinary
Allrounder ordinary
Notes

Skills
Batting average Endurance poor
Bowling ordinary Technique average
Keeping average Power poor
Fielding ordinary

casperj
Posts: 948
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: The "How to Train?" topic (part 2)

Post by casperj » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:35 am

lankyitfc wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:55 am
Hi all- I just pulled this player. At a bit of a loss on how to train!! Any suggestions welcome.

16y0w | 25,024 rating | $1,086 wage (5% discount)

Right hand batsman | Right arm Finger spin
Talents Arm Ball

Skills
Batting average Endurance poor
Bowling ordinary Technique average
Keeping average Power poor
Fielding ordinary
Bit of a difficult one given the talent vs the skill spread. Choices are really either Keeper or Bowler. Probably which you choose would depend on which your youth team needs more - is he going to get game time as a keeper, if not then train as a spinner.

Jujoh
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:00 pm

Re: The "How to Train?" topic (part 2)

Post by Jujoh » Mon May 27, 2024 6:12 pm

The Nigiro >> 12. Bradyn Tuttle >> Details
Player Info
19y8w | 39.846 rating | $ 2.758 wage (0% discount)

Right hand batsman | Left arm Finger spin

Talents Skilled (Keeping), Safe Hands
Nationality Canada Canada
Form reasonable
Fatigue revived
Experience ordinary
Captaincy reliable
Skills Summary
Batsman capable
Bowler poor
Keeper reliable
Allrounder ordinary
Notes

Skills
Batting reliable Endurance average
Bowling poor Technique reliable
Keeping accomplished Power ordinary
Fielding reasonable

Popped to reliable batting today, technique 4 weeks ago. Been on batting training, but now I'm in doubt over keeper-batsman or focus on batting . Probably give him one fielding pop somewhere too. W

GM-crowfan65
CAPT
Posts: 24162
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:17 am
Location: Look...up in the sky
Contact:

Re: The "How to Train?" topic (part 2)

Post by GM-crowfan65 » Mon May 27, 2024 11:52 pm

Def a quick top up on fielding and then batting
Where possible i try to keep bat = keep and fielding within 2 of keep
Master Crowfan of the Blessed Spreadsheet

GarageTM Foundation Member

Kushal
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:18 am

Re: The "How to Train?" topic (part 2)

Post by Kushal » Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:40 am

Underdogs >> Thuli Masingata >> Details
Player Info
16y0w | 26,189 rating | $ 948 wage (5% discount)

Right hand batsman | Right arm Fast medium

Talents Finisher
Nationality Zimbabwe Zimbabwe
Form reasonable
Fatigue rested
Experience poor
Captaincy capable
Skills Summary
Batsman ordinary
Bowler ordinary
Keeper average
Allrounder ordinary
Skills
Batting ordinary Endurance poor
Bowling ordinary Technique average
Keeping reasonable Power ordinary
Fielding ordinary

casperj
Posts: 948
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: The "How to Train?" topic (part 2)

Post by casperj » Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:36 am

Kushal wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:40 am
Underdogs >> Thuli Masingata >> Details
Player Info
16y0w | 26,189 rating | $ 948 wage (5% discount)

Right hand batsman | Right arm Fast medium

Talents Finisher
Nationality Zimbabwe Zimbabwe

Skills
Batting ordinary Endurance poor
Bowling ordinary Technique average
Keeping reasonable Power ordinary
Fielding ordinary
Great player. Finisher is a useful skill for a keeper. Would be going Keeper-bat training for him.

NTL13
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat May 25, 2024 5:22 am

Re: The "How to Train?" topic (part 2)

Post by NTL13 » Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:20 am

So I am getting training plans sorted for my Youths, and have two questions:

1) I see the trend is to train Fielding early to a certain level, then work on Primary. Why is this?

2) Is it worth doing any Fitness/Strength training before the mid-20s?

Appreciate the advice. Thanks!

Eepan
Posts: 184
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:41 pm

Re: The "How to Train?" topic (part 2)

Post by Eepan » Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:03 am

NTL13 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:20 am
So I am getting training plans sorted for my Youths, and have two questions:

1) I see the trend is to train Fielding early to a certain level, then work on Primary. Why is this?

2) Is it worth doing any Fitness/Strength training before the mid-20s?

Appreciate the advice. Thanks!
Hi!

1) because the cliche "catches win matches" is true in real life cricket (see England v Pakistan irl 4th T20) and FTP

It's easier to sort fielding out by 17 years old, then focus elsewhere

People want to play prospects as soon as possible,

New players should probably set fielding standards at average or reasonable, then when pushing to div 2 or 1, capable or reliable

2) I'd only recommend if you have a expensive academy (Lavish +) and are ahead in all other skills

For newer players no, as generally you don't want to fight against the game, you'll have a better player if you focus on power / fitness in their mid 20s

boscorp
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:55 am
Location: on the coast near the sea

Re: The "How to Train?" topic (part 2)

Post by boscorp » Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:30 am

Eepan wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:03 am
NTL13 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:20 am
So I am getting training plans sorted for my Youths, and have two questions:

1) I see the trend is to train Fielding early to a certain level, then work on Primary. Why is this?

2) Is it worth doing any Fitness/Strength training before the mid-20s?

Appreciate the advice. Thanks!
Hi!

1) because the cliche "catches win matches" is true in real life cricket (see England v Pakistan irl 4th T20) and FTP

It's easier to sort fielding out by 17 years old, then focus elsewhere

People want to play prospects as soon as possible,

New players should probably set fielding standards at average or reasonable, then when pushing to div 2 or 1, capable or reliable

2) I'd only recommend if you have a expensive academy (Lavish +) and are ahead in all other skills

For newer players no, as generally you don't want to fight against the game, you'll have a better player if you focus on power / fitness in their mid 20s
I think by training fielding first there is also savings to be made in wages over the seasons compared to if you train up a primary first.
South Africa U19 Manager seasons 38-41.
Boscorp Cross season 14 - current

Eepan
Posts: 184
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:41 pm

Re: The "How to Train?" topic (part 2)

Post by Eepan » Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:44 am

boscorp wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:30 am
Eepan wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:03 am
NTL13 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:20 am
So I am getting training plans sorted for my Youths, and have two questions:

1) I see the trend is to train Fielding early to a certain level, then work on Primary. Why is this?

2) Is it worth doing any Fitness/Strength training before the mid-20s?

Appreciate the advice. Thanks!
Hi!

1) because the cliche "catches win matches" is true in real life cricket (see England v Pakistan irl 4th T20) and FTP

It's easier to sort fielding out by 17 years old, then focus elsewhere

People want to play prospects as soon as possible,

New players should probably set fielding standards at average or reasonable, then when pushing to div 2 or 1, capable or reliable

2) I'd only recommend if you have a expensive academy (Lavish +) and are ahead in all other skills

For newer players no, as generally you don't want to fight against the game, you'll have a better player if you focus on power / fitness in their mid 20s
I think by training fielding first there is also savings to be made in wages over the seasons compared to if you train up a primary first.
That too! Helps newer teams :)

Jujoh
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:00 pm

Re: The "How to Train?" topic (part 2)

Post by Jujoh » Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:41 pm

A reason to train strength early is if you have a player you know will be replaced/worthless before he is older. Someone you have for a season or two to get you going. Might as well get the most out of those players. Even then the gains of training strength could be smaller than the gains of other training programmes, but if power is at a really low level it could be the best way to increase performance quickly

Post Reply