Quick Questions V4

New to the game? This is the forum for you. In this forum there is no such thing as a silly question :), although please make sure to browse through the game manual before posting.
boscorp

Re: Quick Questions V4

Post by boscorp » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:33 am

As for a fielding check during the game. The wicket keepers keeping skill is used instead of fielding.
Well that's what the match engine says anyway.
South Africa U19 Manager seasons 38-41.
Boscorp Cross season 14 - current

TM-Cyrus
MOD

Post by TM-Cyrus » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:47 am

I’d have thought it has more to do with the keeper summary rather than there actual skill, if you left your keepers fielding at a lower level and took his keeping to let’s say elite to get a summary of WC all you’d achieve is a higher wage compared to having fielding at outs or spec and keeping at exceptional getting the same summary, I’ve always been an advocate of a fielding summary to go with bat, bowl, keeper and AR summaries as other skills affect the overall fielding summary, it’s just we don’t see it.
Image Current Bermudan National Manager, Bermudan U19 Manager WC Champions S20
Manager of Schweedy Balls And The Bloodhounds
Bloodhound of the Transfer Market.

boscorp

Post by boscorp » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:03 am

Cyrus wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:47 am
I’d have thought it has more to do with the keeper summary rather than there actual skill, if you left your keepers fielding at a lower level and took his keeping to let’s say elite to get a summary of WC all you’d achieve is a higher wage compared to having fielding at outs or spec and keeping at exceptional getting the same summary, I’ve always been an advocate of a fielding summary to go with bat, bowl, keeper and AR summaries as other skills affect the overall fielding summary, it’s just we don’t see it.
Tru, higher fielding will get your keepers summary up overall and also be a savings on wages.
However an elite keeper with low enough fielding to rate wc in summary is going to perform way better than an exceptional keeper with high fielding to boost his summary to wc.
When it comes to catches behind the wicket and stumping opportunities it's the keeping that matters most according to the match engine.
Wish there was someone like buttlee to toss in a few stats on keeper comparisons.

TM-Cyrus
MOD

Post by TM-Cyrus » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:58 am

boscorp wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:03 am
Cyrus wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:47 am
Tru, higher fielding will get your keepers summary up overall and also be a savings on wages.
However an elite keeper with low enough fielding to rate wc in summary is going to perform way better than an exceptional keeper with high fielding to boost his summary to wc.
When it comes to catches behind the wicket and stumping opportunities it's the keeping that matters most according to the match engine.
Wish there was someone like buttlee to toss in a few stats on keeper comparisons.
Is it purely of the skill or is it off the summary, I would have thought it’s off the keeping summary because to me keeping is useless without tech, fielding, endo ect. Think Crowie needs to clarify this one.
If it’s purely of the keeper skill it needs to be changed because the next 16yo I get I’ll save two seasons of fielding training and just train keeper/bat for 9-10 seasons with the odd batting tech to close any gaps then train power and endo, and have the games best keeper bat I just can’t let any other player take the gloves cos he’ll be like Phill Tufnell in the field.

boscorp

Post by boscorp » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:54 pm

To be clearer, I'm not suggesting that tech, endurance, power and fielding play no role for a wicketkeeper. They come into play with his overall keeping performance and creating opportunities.
It's just the skill check done to determine the success of the opportunity of a wicket where it goes on keeper skill only is my understanding of the ME.
Same as for a skill check on an outfielder, there isn't a summary for fielding to go by.
My understanding is that the skill check for an outfielder compares fielding only. Not combined with tech, endurance, power etc.

TM-Cyrus
MOD

Post by TM-Cyrus » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:00 pm

boscorp wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:54 pm
To be clearer, I'm not suggesting that tech, endurance, power and fielding play no role for a wicketkeeper. They come into play with his overall keeping performance and creating opportunities.
It's just the skill check done to determine the success of the opportunity of a wicket where it goes on keeper skill only is my understanding of the ME.
But the keeper doesn’t create opportunities the bowler does the keeper just needs to pass the field check therefore if it is wholly based on the keeper skill we don’t need to train fielding ever on our keeper unless you have two and need to play one as a bat only.

GM-crowfan65
CAPT

Post by GM-crowfan65 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:12 pm

Fielding is an important component of keeping summary
Master Crowfan of the Blessed Spreadsheet

GarageTM Foundation Member

boscorp

Post by boscorp » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:35 pm

Cyrus wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:00 pm
boscorp wrote:
But the keeper doesn’t create opportunities the bowler does the keeper just needs to pass the field check therefore if it is wholly based on the keeper skill we don’t need to train fielding ever on our keeper unless you have two and need to play one as a bat only.
The bowler alone does not create opportunities.
The fielding skill of the outfielders and the keeper affect the number of run scoring opportunities plus they all influence the chance of a wicket each ball.
So yes fielding has a role in a keeper both in summary and throughout the match, but does it have any part in the keepers success in a stumping or catch?

TM-Cyrus
MOD

Post by TM-Cyrus » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:24 pm

boscorp wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:35 pm
Cyrus wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:00 pm
boscorp wrote:
The bowler alone does not create opportunities.
The fielding skill of the outfielders and the keeper affect the number of run scoring opportunities plus they all influence the chance of a wicket each ball.
So yes fielding has a role in a keeper both in summary and throughout the match, but does it have any part in the keepers success in a stumping or catch?
But in terms of a keeper catch or stumping the chance is always created by the bowlers, can’t take a caught behind if he doesn’t get the edge and can’t take a stumping if the bowlers don’t beat the bat.

boscorp

Post by boscorp » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:50 pm

You are most likely right.
My point is ...given the opportunity occurs for a caught behind or a stumping you will want to be sure your keeper has a high enough primary to be in position and execute the catch or stumping.
Again, this involves the keeping skill predominantly in determining the success of the opportunity.

TM-Cyrus
MOD

Post by TM-Cyrus » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:06 pm

So assuming this is correct and it’s not just an error in wording in the manual and the fielding checks on keepers is all about the keeping skill itself and not the keeping summary, why do we bother training fielding, why not just leave it alone and just take the residual fielding pops from keeper/bat or plan old keeper training?
@Crowie is the manual correct and it’s all about the keeping skill or has it been miss worded or not explained correctly?

GM-crowfan65
CAPT

Post by GM-crowfan65 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:46 am

I think the manual is deliberately vague so you have to work it out for yourself
From the way Ash explained it, fielding was important to keeping as the game uses summaries for everything in the ME

And look at it this way a WC keep with reli field, a excep keep with outstanding field, who is better allowing for all else being the same?
I will give you a hint, the second guy.
Master Crowfan of the Blessed Spreadsheet

GarageTM Foundation Member

CodenameZephyr

Post by CodenameZephyr » Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:26 am

Friendlies:

Its been quite a while since i've played a friendly.
Q. When challenging a team to play at their ground, do i select home or away?

Cynic

Post by Cynic » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:30 am

It's a personal preference since you don't get money so it doesn't matter who has the bigger ground.
Yellow Comet The Hybrid Dolphins
My post count remains my greatest achievement in this world.

boscorp

Post by boscorp » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:47 am

CodenameZephyr wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:26 am
Friendlies:

Its been quite a while since i've played a friendly.
Q. When challenging a team to play at their ground, do i select home or away?
Select away.