FTP Glossary

New to the game? This is the forum for you. In this forum there is no such thing as a silly question :), although please make sure to browse through the game manual before posting.
Cynic

FTP Glossary

Post by Cynic » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:05 am

I'll be looking through the New Player section for additions but you can drop them here as well.

Note: I want to make sure there is FTP information/lingo that isn't covered by the rules or self-explanatory. Acronyms have to be FTP-exclusive (so that's why PM and OP are missing because they're common across forums net-wide. Terms like IDK, IMO, etc. can be found here) Cricket terms (e.g. duck, golden duck) can be found here.

General
FTP: From The Pavilion. Not File Transfer Protocol. :ninja
ME: Match Engine
IGM: In-Game Message
Major nations: Basically nations with leagues. You can pull their players and play in their league competitions. e.g. Australia, New Zealand, India.
Minor nations: Nations without their own leagues. You can pull youth players but cannot transfer your club. They are now as follows: UAE, Bermuda, Kenya, USA.
Mentor: An experienced player who assists new players in understanding the game. More or less FTP teachers.
SOS: Start of Season.
EOS: End of Season.
Off-season: A week long break from competitive matches after the End of Season update.

Leagues
SOD: Senior One Day.
T20 or ST20: Twenty20.
YOD: Youth One Day
YT20: Youth T20
Camping: Deliberately avoiding promotion by throwing the last game(s) because you want to earn easier prizemoney or you don't want to face tougher teams (in other words, prizemoney).

Skills
Primary: Batting, Bowling or Keeping. These stats directly influence the ability of a batsmen, bowler and wicketkeeper respectively. (The dispute over keeping being a primary skill and technique not being one is for another place and time)
Secondary: Endurance, Technique, Power, Fielding, Captaincy (?), Experience. These stats, while not directly affecting the player's ability, help with effectiveness. For example, Endurance affects how fatigue a player recovers day-to-day and Power affects strike rate.

Players
Gun: A very good player; generally has fantastic primaries for their age.
Primary monster: A player who has superb primary skills (batting/bowling generally) at the expense of their secondaries (especially the primary-tech gap). Alternatively, a straightforward definition: A player with a massive wage (usually in excess of 20k) but mediocre secondaries (a more case-by-case scenario).

Bowlers
Seam: Medium, fast-medium and fast bowler types.
Spin: Finger and wrist spin bowler types.
LM/RM: Left-handed medium/Right-handed medium bowler
LFM/RFM: Left-handed fast-medium/Right-handed fast-medium bowler
LF/RF: Left-handed fast/Right-handed fast bowler
LFS/RFS: Left-handed finger spin/Right-handed finger spin bowler
LWS/RWS: Left-handed wrist spin/Right-handed wrist spin bowler

Youth
YP or YR: Youth Pull or Youth Recruit
Youth Pull or Youth Recruit: Available every Monday, technically at the same time as youth training - except for during the end-of-season break where it occurs Tuesday 00:00 FTP time for everyone. You recruit a 16yo from a particular nation (if not a member then the game randomizes the Nation)to join your youth squad.

Teams
Bots: Computer-controlled teams.

Training
Pop: When a skill increases in level (e.g. poor to ordinary, capable to reliable). Happens after training.
Plop: When a skill decreases in level (e.g. average to ordinary, dreadful to atrocious). Happens unpredictably after training for players 30yo and older so cross your fingers.

Transfer Market
TM: Transfer Market

National Teams
NT/NAT: National Team
U20: U20 National Team

Wage/Rating
Wage: The weekly payment of your player(s) based mostly on their primaries. Is updated at the start of every season and not during it. A somewhat more reliable method of checking an opponent's skill than ratings. However, unlike Battrick, you cannot pinpoint popping times based on wage.
Rating: A rough estimation of your player's skill and is based on every trainable (?) statistic. Is updated weekly after training. Beware of misleading ratings. For example, an accomplished batsman can have a 28,000 rating but a capable all-rounder (bat and bowl) can have a rating of 32k or more. Highish levels in superfluous skills will mean this can still be misleading (e.g. average keeping for a bowler - around 4000 points in wasted ratings)
Spare ratings This is what people use to help predict future pops, especially for players freshly bought or new youth pulls. The ratings points from the 7 trainable skills are subtracted from the total ratings points and what are left are spare ratings. N.B.: Atrocious to Dreadful is 500-1000 and Dreadful to Poor is 1000-2000, then add 1000 points for every skill after that.

The FTP admin team
FULL DESCRIPTION OF THE TEAM: http://www.fromthepavilion.org/forums/v ... =1&t=38345
(Let's be real; it's an insult and crime that I got away with my awful descriptions for so long.)

Forum spam: Posts which are irrelevant and inappropriate to the topic being discussed.
Off-sites: Website separate from the official FTP site and forum where people who belong to a nation discuss the game.

Competitions
MKMC: Matt Krevs Memorial Cup, previously known as Pavilion Cup (PC). The top 2048 teams (all teams plus bots) enter into a competition at the beginning of each season that runs on Sundays.
World Cup: At the end of every season the highest ranking 12 NAT nations, both major and minor, compete against each other in groups in 6. Seniors and Juniors alternate OD and T20 format every WC.
Friendly competition: An unofficial competition between a set number of teams that plays on Thursday and/or Sunday. They have no effect on official leagues.

Matches
Upset: An upset is generally considered to be when a team beats another team who has 20k or 15% better match ratings (example pending for both).

To-do list
Sublevels
Other friendly competitions (need descriptions) - need to not be a one-off thing.
Last edited by Cynic on Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:16 am, edited 45 times in total.
Yellow Comet The Hybrid Dolphins
My post count remains my greatest achievement in this world.