This Week In The Scotland Youth Camp.

A place for players in Scotland to communicate.
Martymac

This Week In The Scotland Youth Camp.

Post by Martymac » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:28 am

Hi guys,

I’ll be the first to admit I’ve never really been one for using gaming forums but as I’ve been elected the new national manager for the Scotland youth team I thought I’d start a new thread revolving around the squad and it’s activity which I will try to update weekly. Nothing too serious, just a bit of fun that might include a review of any games played, significant moments such as debuts, milestones or retirements, maybe even the odd player biography or player profile for something a bit different. I hope the Scottish community can get behind it, enjoy it and maybe we can even get a few more managers converting to Scotland.

Cheers,
Martymac.
Current Scotland Under 20 Manager.
Scotland Under 20 Assistant Manager Seasons 40-45.

GA-Jim
MOD

Re: This Week In The Scotland Youth Camp.

Post by GA-Jim » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:44 am

Look forward to the write ups mate :thumbsup
Herosnzeros Titles: T20: S35
Crazy Horses Titles: YOD: S29. Pavilion cup S39
NZ U19s NM S26-29 AM 24-25. Scottish NM 33-34 37-, AM 30-32 35-36

Martymac

Post by Martymac » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:40 am

Cheers Jim, I’ve got a few ideas floating around inside my head and it will be nice to try and connect with the Scottish community and try to get a few more on board.

Martymac

Post by Martymac » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:52 pm

It was a great start to the season for the new management team at Bannockburn this week as the Scotland under 20 team were able to post wins in friendly games against both the Netherlands and Kenya.

It was a shoddy start in the field on Wednesday against the Dutch with 5 catches going down as well as a missed stumping and a missed run out allowing the opponent to score 6-232. Had the missed opportunities been taken we would have been chasing about 100 runs less which would have been a far more comfortable run chase to watch in the humid and sticky conditions.
Neil Hardie on debut being the pick of the bowlers with 3-34. The lads found themselves in early bother too being 5-90 before an undefeated 143 run 6th wicket partnership between Chris Dow and another debutant, all rounder Ben Ford guided the team home with scores of 84* and 53* respectively. The 5 wicket win secured with 7 balls to spare.

Overall the pace bowling was fantastic in the conditions but our medium pacer and spinner copped a little bit of stick. Debuts were given to 4 players, Rory Burns (17), Ben Ford (wicketless but 53*), Neil Hardie (3-34) and Niall Boag (0-21 off 10).

JimmytheToump took charge of his first match in National colours and guided the team to a comfortable 67 run win against the Kenyans. Winning the toss and batting first on a hard deck in humid conditions the new look Scottish top order batted superbly well posting 6-333, second gamer Rory Burns desperately unlucky to miss out on a ton being run out for 99. The lads then controlled the run chase well restricting the opponent to 5-266 with all rounder Ben Ford the best of the bowlers with 3-45. Jim was not afraid to experiment with the tactics and hand the famed tartan caps to 5 new players. Col Balfour (36), Roy Clouston (36), Alex Coutts (72), Doug Black (2-52) and Al Grant (1-51).

A pleasing week overall in humid conditions, some of our bowlers did tire towards the end of their spells which is to be expected but it never hurts to get a bit more endurance into them so they’re not found out on a week long tour.

We’ll finish this week off and leave you with the first of our player profiles for the season, this weeks subject is the lippy Scottish Wicketkeeper Maurice Fraser.

Player Profile :

Name : Maurice Fraser.

Role : Wicketkeeper - Left Hand Bat.

Nickname : The Space Cowboy.

Cricketing Hero : Current Scotland wicket keeper Matty Cross.

Hobbies : I’m not so bad at poker.

Favourite Food : Meat Lovers Pizza.

Favourite Drink : Coca-Cola.

Favourite Music : Zayde Wolf.

Person Most Admired : I’ve learned a lot of new words from Gordon Ramsey so he’s been great for my keeping ... He’s a legend!

Favourite Book : “I hope that’s chocolate!” - Memoirs of a suburban carpet cleaner by Felix Krivitski.

Favourite Holiday Location : Caithness, Scotland.

Worst teammate to room with : Al Brownlie - Chronic Foot Odour.

Martymac

Post by Martymac » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:52 pm

This week in the Scottish youth camp saw the team take on traditional powerhouses India and Australia and the lads broke even with one win and one loss.

India won the toss and sent Scotland in on a crumbling wicket on Wednesday and the boys were in some bother early at 2-11 before Paul Thompson and Rory Burns started a slow but steady recovery mission which was then finished off nicely by Murdo Dewer. Burns top scored with 84 while the debutant Dewer compiled an impressive 42 to take the total to 6-207, a total that looked to be defendable if we bowled well but the lads didn’t help themselves dropping 4 catches and gifting the opposition 27 runs due to misfields. India’s openers put on 116 before the first breakthrough and the game looked to be out of reach for the new look Scottish spin attack from that point on and so it proved, India winning by 8 wickets.

On a positive note Scotland had another 4 players on debut in this game and most contributed well. Murdo Dewer (42), Aidan Johnstone (14* & 1-45), Hamish Duff (12* & 0-26) and Gil Angus (0-51).

My new assistant JimmytheToump kept his 100% winning record when in charge of the team intact as he masterminded a miraculous run chase against Australia on Saturday. The Aussies won the toss, batted and posted the imposing total of 6-334 on the hard track with their number 3 Oscar Tape posting an impressive 130, Ken Alexander the best of the bowlers with 2-66. Only 1 chance was grassed in the field but an embarrassing 60 runs were given away due to misfields. Scotland set about the run chase in a positive frame of mind, opener Al Brownlie scoring his first international century with 136, Beau Waters also in good touch with 53 in a 123 run partnership with Brownlie before the game was finished off by Ben Ford (45*) with 3 balls to spare.

It’s been a good start to the new season with 3 wins from 4 games and 13 players making their international debuts but we feel the fielding isn’t quite where we’d like it, 5 dropped catches and 87 runs were given away this week which is a concern with a division 1 one day tour approaching. Only 4 players in the squad had training pops last week and only 3 this week so we are anticipating a far greater number in the coming weeks, hopefully fielding will be significant amongst them. We still have a few players in the squad yet to debut but we will try to have a look at them over the next 2 weeks.

We will wrap things up for this week with a player profile on the fluently elegant leftie Paul Thompson.

Player Profile :

Name : Paul Thompson.

Role : Left Hand Top Order Batsman.

Nickname : Thommo or Froggy.

Cricketing Hero : Former Aussie Opener Matthew Hayden.

Hobbies : PlayStation, Catching Lizards, Yodeling.

Favourite Food : Pork Chops.

Favourite Drink : Apple Juice.

Favourite Music : Hank Williams.

Person Most Admired : Steve Backshall.

Favourite Book : Sleeping Pills & Laxatives - Barb Routman.

Favourite Holiday Location : Barcelona - Spain.

Worst teammate to room with : Hamish Fleming, typical wicketkeeper ... never shuts up!