Sri Lanka U20 National Discussions

A place for players in Sri Lanka to communicate.
MD-Summit
MOD

Re: Sri Lanka U20 National Discussions

Post by MD-Summit » Fri May 14, 2021 11:49 pm

Sometimes you love this game, sometimes you dont.

Today is a day we don't.

05:30 GMT time today we had a shot at the Div 1 title.

In Windy/Crumbling conditions the West Indies raced to 1/100 from 26 overs and we were struggling.

We managed to break the partnership and our bowlers went on a rampage with Salih Sobstory taking 4/24 in a 5 over spell and the Windies were bowled out for a below par 155.

Our batsman were never challenged with Suresh Kelaart having his final match in Sri Lanka U20 colours and scoring a strong 67.

We won in 44 overs. We had done everything we could, all we needed was Scotland to beat Australia!

Lets check in on the other game.

Scotland scored 186 in Windy/Dry, probably a little below par.

Australia 3/105, ah well they are looking in control.... we thought!

Enter Cathal Dundas and his masterful spell of 5/7 from 7 overs. Australia were reeling at 9/129 and needed 58 runs to win with 1 wicket remaining.... we had won Div 1.

And then out of no where it was Edgbaston all over again!

Cooper Riddick decided to do a Ben stokes, farm the strike and put on 58 for the last partnership to win Australia the Div 1 title, relegate Scotland, and give us the runner up position in Div 1.

End.
Managing Director

Current Pakistan Division 1 SOD Champion!

paulc

Post by paulc » Sat May 15, 2021 3:18 am

desperately unlucky at the end but great tour to finish the regular season.
We'll all be cheering you in the world cup!
live and let live

paulc

Post by paulc » Sat May 29, 2021 5:49 am

Tough World Cup draw - same group as all of the big 3.
live and let live

paulc

Post by paulc » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:49 am

Crunched in game 1 unfortunately.
We’ll need to win the remaining 4 to have a chance most likely.
live and let live

MD-Summit
MOD

Post by MD-Summit » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:40 am

Apologies for the delayed response. For those unaware I had a kid in the past fortnight so time has been used sparingly.

We are in the middle of a World Cup conquest and as stated by paul.... We are in the group of death!

Not only this but the pitch selections are all of our weaknesses.

First game out against New Zealand started ok, however we got the 5th wicket too late and they managed to hit us for 332 runs.

Unfortunately way to many and we succumbed to be all out for 243.

Next up we have Australia.... must win game against arguably the best team that has ever existed.
Managing Director

paulc

Post by paulc » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:55 am

Tough luck Summit and co. At least there was one victory to celebrate.

Running for election again?
Surely it’d worth another go after bringing the team to D1?
live and let live

MD-Summit
MOD

Post by MD-Summit » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:54 pm

Well that World Cup was fun. Brings a downer to my first tenure as Sri Lanka U20 manager.

Yes we were in the group of death. Yes we had a poor lineup compared to last tour. No we did not perform to the best of our ability regardless.

Our only win came against Canada and we finished 1-4 bottom of the log.

We came close to beating Australia for the 3rd time in my tenure but again just fell short.

I apologise to the Sri Lankan community as you deserved a better World Cup showing!
Managing Director

paulc

Post by paulc » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:45 am

It’s a consequence of the year/wk age rule that teams will peak at various times of the season not always at the end. It’s gonna happen now with the seniors with a group hitting 30yrs but at least they fade gradually. At u20 players age out completely.
live and let live

MD-Summit
MOD

Post by MD-Summit » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:39 am

First tour match of the upcoming season.

My assistants have taken control of the tour whilst I focus a bit more on U20 player development.

Tour line up as follows

Image - Pramodya Ramanayake
Image - Rajavarothiam Appathurai
Image - Weerakumara Kesavan
Image - Mahinda Kudavidanage
Image - Nishantha Anthony
Image - Shehan Lankatilleke
Image - Matthew Needham
Image - Praba Diaz
Image - Hetuhamy Saravanamuttu
Image - Sajin Lakshman
Image - Thilanga Ranga Yasalal
Image - Murugesu Wijesekera
Image - Ariyapala Casie Chetty
Image - Perumal Aponso
Image - Nirmala Amarasinghe
Image - Salih Sobstory
Image - Hashan Flindall
Image - Ezra Schofield

Chezza and Angolvagyak I am sure will lead us with glory...
Managing Director

Lesvosace

Post by Lesvosace » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:51 pm

been a tough one so far :(
Sri Lanka National Team Manager Season 19-24. The longest serving Sri Lanka U19/U20 manager in history (probably)
U19 One Day World Cup Winner : Season 28 Image

MD-Summit
MOD

Post by MD-Summit » Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:09 am

Unfortunately yes, we knew this tour was going to be tough and were hoping to survive as our crop of 19yos is a better quality.

Just didn't pan out that way. I will post a tour review later this weekend
Managing Director

MD-Summit
MOD

Post by MD-Summit » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:29 am

Sometimes I hate when my pessimistic speeches come right.

Unfortunately we were relegated from Div 1 finishing with 0 wins from 5 matches.

Whilst our ratings weren't terrible, we were lagging behind in bowler variety

Our goal was surviving as we do have a good crop of players coming through over the next season however, they are still a tour or 2 away from being good enough to challenge.

We move on and now have a Twenty20 tour upon us.

Squad selection will be announced later this week.
Managing Director

Angolvagyok

Post by Angolvagyok » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:22 pm

Very solid win in the first game of the T20 tour today against the USA

Batting first up on Slow/Humid Janaka & Kudavidanage took us to 62/1 off 9 overs, then Anthony and Lucas (21 off 13) chipping in to get us to 135 from our 20.

Initially I thought it might be a little below par but Aladeniya & Casie Chetty restricted them to 14 runs off the first 5 overs for the loss of two wickets. A few expensive overs followed but in the main Schofield and Flindall kept it tight, with wickets falling regularly. Schofield with two important wickets in the 14th and Casie Chetty mopping up the tail at the end.

Men of the match for me are:

Aladeniya (Yellow Comet) - 4-1-8-2
Schofield (Crease Lightning) 4-1-23-4
Janaka (Recently of my own EllaXI but developed by PinkLuco) 37(38)
Kudavidanage (Kent International CC) 41(40)

Having looked at the match ratings it was an important win as we're way behind the other teams in this league, now we go again tomorrow against the Netherlands on Green and, once again, in Humid conditions.

Angolvagyok

Post by Angolvagyok » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:11 pm

Another win today against the Netherlands, but can't help feeling we've got away with one, as they didn't seem to have orders set.......

Bowling first on green with humid conditions our 4 Seamers failed to do any damage as they racked up 149. Stand outs were Aladeniya and Berty, with econs of 3.50 and 4.75 respectively, but one wicket between them is not something to write about. I'm beginning to think I might have a habit of going too defensive with my bowling orders, it's something I'll start experimenting with on one of my clubs.

Aponso taking 2 wickets with an econ of 7.75, but Casie Chetty and Irfahan both getting tanked around the park.

So onto what I assumed would be an unsuccessful chase but we managed to get to 88-1 off 12 and keeping up with the NRR, when their Med picked up a couple of wickets and left us needing 41 off the last 4. Kesavan did well to take 11 off the FS in the 17th, then enter the star of the show, a RFM who has bowled a grand total of 48 balls in Youth matches. Kesavan got himself back on strike and took 16 off the over, to leave us needing 14 off the last two, which he and Lucas brought up with ease.

One I feel we've been lucky to win, but I'll take it.

Not really too many nominees for men of the match but I can always find one:

Keasavan (Miss Lanka's Pet Lions) for his 39(22) just when we needed it.

UAE up next on green and humid (again) and my only hope is that their seamers are as broken as ours.

Angolvagyok

Post by Angolvagyok » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:50 pm

Apologies for no report yesterday, life & work took over.

Not that I would have had much to sasy, we've been done in both games and are in serious danger of relegating to D3. Wonderful.

Against UAE we only got to 130 from our 20, with Ramanayake (Blue & Gold) hitting 75(59). They chased this down in 19, with only Schofield (Crease Lightning) putting up much resistance with his 4-0-25-3.

Went the other way today and tried bowling first with the hope that our spinners would keep them in check. One of them did, with Flindall (TeddyBearPower) returning figures of 4-0-17-4. Things went south towards the end of the innings with them hitting 41 in the last 4, leaving us 138 to chase. I was surprised that we got within 13, but the bats were always behind the RRR and we all know how that works.

Now we have to play the MR monsters that area Scotland, and if we lose that we're hoping UAE beat the USA. Feel free to tune in tomorrow and imagine how CENSORED off or happy I am at any certain point.